The difference between a religion, however strange, and a destructive cult

by Eustace 1 Replies latest jw friends

• Eustace
    Eustace

I think the difference has to do with ostracizing former members. When a group does this, then whether or not they used "brainwashing" techniques to get peoplein, the people in have a tremendous amount of pressure being put on them to stay in no matter how badly they're treated.

The problem I face when it comes to studying this issue is that there is I'm having a hard time finding data on which groups do and do not ostracize former members.

Here's a list of some groups I consider destructive cults with information on whether or not they ostracize former members in paranthesis:

Destructive Cults

Scientology - Practices Enforced Ostracizism of former members (Disconnection)

Jehovah's Witnesses - Practices Enforced Ostracizism of former members (Disfellowshipping)

Synanom (drug rehabiliation center that evolved into a highly violent cult) - Practiced Enforced Ostracizism of former members (who were called Splittees)

Jim Jone's People's Temple (cult that ended in mass suicide) - Practiced Enforced Ostracizism of former members (even holding mock funerals for former members)

Can anyone think of other examples?

• Eustace
    Eustace

Also does anyone know if the Order of the Solar Temple (ended in mass murder-suicide) and Heaven's Gate (ended in mass suicide) practiced ostracizism of former members?

Note: Synanom was actually spelled " Synanon".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit