What you should keep in mind about apologists like Recovery, Alice, etc.

by Fencing 9 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Fencing
    Fencing

I don't post here much, but read often. Seen quite a few JW apologists and trolls come and go. They are almost always successful at getting a good number of people here upset and riled up, leading to personal attacks. But you need to remember a couple important things about people like that, before you unload on them.

1. No active, happy Witness would willingly join or participate in an "apostate" forum. If they're here, it's because they already have very serious doubts.
    2. If they really are active Witnesses, they are already knowingly disobeying the GB in a big way just by being here. Think about that.
    3. If they are obsessively arguing and trying to come up with apologetic argument after argument to refute every little point, they're really arguing with themselves and trying to chase their own doubts away.

So, instead of getting worked up with these people, chasing them down rabbit holes, insulting them, trying to beat sense into them, remember that each one of these "trolls" is really an apostate-in-training. They're going through that extremely difficult time when the congnative dissonance first starts to become too much to bear. Instead of looking down on them with disdain and hate, think of them with compassion and some pity and remember how lost and confused you were when you first starting having serious doubts.

Anyway, just a couple thoughts I had after watching this whole Recovery drama unfold.

• Vidqun
    Vidqun

Yes, I agree with you Fencing. Letters and numbers is a good example. To start off with, he was all for JWs and their GB. But he soon changed his tune. In his final posts, even though long-winded, he was vehemently opposed to them.

• tornapart
    tornapart

Agree with you whole heartedly Fencing. In ones like this there's a lot of cognitive dissonance going on and it's almost as if they want to fight it.

• Tylinbrando
    Tylinbrando

Recovery said:

Arguments left picked apart and largely unanswered? You must not have seen how all objections were thoroughly refuted in the 'magic vs. miracles' thread.

This disturbes me, as Recovery has not even feebly refuted any objections in the "magic vs. miracles" thread.

Telling oneself that something is true does not make it so.

I am finding it hard to give credibility or personal interest to any of these debate threads because there is a clear disadvantage being promulgated by someones' certain cognitive dissonance.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I agree too. I used to be one myself. (Well, in high school) The board would have hated me if it existed back then.

• never a jw
    never a jw

Fencing. Totally agree. Lots of wisdom packed in your comment. I hope others see what you see, and used their talents to refute the apologists without insults and condescending tones. I may not be the best person to suggest "being nice" because I admit to being vicious sometimes, but I am learning.

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

The only thing someone who relies on flawed arguments and fallacious reasoning deserves is a bucket of icy-cold truth. Some (like Recovery) likely fancy themselves as the local theology experts in their KH, the "go to" whiz-kids that others rely on when they have a question (imagine big fish in small ponds).

I've always felt that coddling people and their precious delusions accomplishes nothing, but only allows them to persist in their wallowing; that only wastes time living inside of a lie that they could better spend by moving on to productive activities in their lives (where hopefully you'd all agree that being suckered to place WTBTS literature in hopes of petting a lion is not a productive activity for anyone).

• Scott77
    Scott77

The fact that someone is a JW apologest is not an excuse to follow the discussion forum . Mr. Recovery, like everyone else including myself, an apostate, have to follow the posted rule that governs the discussion forums. I think, getting him off this discussion forum is a good ridance. If he sincerely wants help or answers to his troubling questions, attacking JWfacts.come is not the right way to do.

Scott77

• ammo
    ammo

Umm I don't think at the moment Recovery know's he wants help.

I also agree with what the op has outlined,even though Recovery has crossed the line in regard to some comments with the Candice Conti case the mere fact that he is on here still.... well speaks volumes to me. Its hard work for some /most accepting the ttatt.

• ammo
    ammo

also I think, why get so upset about his questions to JWFacts, things said are only being twisted, it's all open to interpretation, he has a right to ask questions as much as people here constantly question and ridicule the WTBTS.

JW Facts can hold its own as far as a site goes- no worries, Thing's can be picked to bits either way still does not change the fact's in regard to generation change's,blood doctrine change's,un involvement's,far out the list goes on and on and on, - You got nothing Recovery- sorry. my bigger concern is there are all sorts of people/lurkers etc here, and even more possible's inregard to reading tribute's for Oompa all the abuse only make's this look like the crazed apostate site that JW's are warned about, why give him the satisfaction of showing this place up for something its not(well not much of the time anyway)

Recovery I will say you have big Kahuna's mate still sticking around.... I think you're genuine.... albeit a l;ittle askew in intention.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit