How Much Head on A Proper Pint?

by Valis 6 Replies latest jw friends

• Valis
    Valis

5% Head and 95% Beer is now the established legal amount of head on a beer in Britain. Head or No Head? What do all of our Brit Apostates think? I'm sure this will be the most contested and flamed post in decades, so I'll put on my riot gear and wait for your replies....

http://cnn.com/2002/WORLD/europe/03/20/britain.pints/index.html

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• Beans
    Beans

Valis:

I have been to Scotland two times and having been there and also drinking in local Irish and Scottish Pubs this is a major issue! The beer must come to the top of the pint glass with the head slightly overflowing or they feel they are getting ripped off or the pint will be returned.Just ask Jimmy!!!

Beans

• Englishman
    Englishman

Hmm,
    The head that one gets varies according to region. I have even heard people asking for a "London Pint", which meansd virtually no head at all as opposed to a Yorkshire pint.like Old Peculiar, which froths and foams away merrily.

I like about half an inch on mine.

Englishman.

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

Head? Yes please! Why WOULDN'T I want head

*reads thread properly*

Oh...

Well, I know a fair bit about head, having worked in a bar, and tried to give customers the head that they wanted.

I think a little head is fine... a finger width, maybe a tad more with Guiness or other stouts or 'cream ales'.

Here in Holland they serve beer in TINY glasses, and you get LOADS of head. Seriously, it's cheap, but it had bloody-well better be as you get a half-pint glass half-full of beer with suds up to the brim.

• Sargon
    Sargon

The amount of head you want depends on the type of beer you drink, I like 5%-10% when I drink your British beers. Love Guiness, but when drinking a nice, ice-cold Canadian lager; i like as little head as possible.

Imagination is more important than Knowledge. Albert Einstein

• WildHorses
    WildHorses

I think i'll stick to the old fasioned head. You know, the kind that makes men call you mama?

I never could stand the taste of beer. The old saying is Beer is good, wine is fine, but liquor is always quicker

I don't want someone in my life I can live with. I want someone in my life I can't live without.
  • Geordie
    Geordie

It depends on wether your beer has been hand pulled or if it comes from an electric pump.
    The electric pumps have pint or half pint settings so you only get the amount it gives you. Hand pulled beer on the other hand allows you to get as much, head or as little head on your pint as you want.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit