Candace Conti: WTS Appeal Info.

by DNCall 9 Replies latest jw friends

• DNCall
    DNCall

The California State Court of Appeal, First District, will hear the WTS appeal. In order to follow the action, point your browser to: click here . Type A136641 in the case number field. Click on Docket for the register of actions. You can also click Scheduled Actions for upcoming deadlines.

Once the parties have filed their records on appeal (basically the papers, testimony transcripts and evidence from the Superior Court case), a date for WTS’ opening brief will be set. Usually the respondent (Candace) will have 30 days to file the respondent’s brief. 20 days after that, WTS can file a reply brief. It’s not uncommon for requests to be made for extensions of these filing dates. Once the briefs have been filed, the Court schedules a date for oral argument. The panel of three appellate judges then take the matter under submission. Their decision can take weeks or months.

The records on appeal are due later this month, so a briefing schedule should be posted on Scheduled Actions in a little over a month.

I have not been able to determine whether the filed documents including briefs can be downloaded as can be done on the Superior Court website. If anyone has information on this, it would be greatly appreciated.

The WTS has hired appellate counsel, Boudreau Williams. It is a boutique firm in San Diego. Their website is click here. It appears to consist of two attorneys, Mr. Boudreau and Mr. Williams. Jon R. Williams specializes in appellate work.

Should be an interesting ride over the next six months or so.

• Theocratic Sedition
    Theocratic Sedition

Interesting that they hired outside talent for the appeal process. Is it known whether this Boudreau Williams has a significant WT/JW connection like must so called private/independent companies that do work for the WT?

• 00DAD
    00DAD

It is noteworthy that the firm of Boudreau and Williams representing the WTBTS have their offices on:

666 State StreetSan Diego, CA 92101

It is a theologically interesting coincidence. No?

I'm just sayin' is all!

00DAD

• jwleaks
    jwleaks

Direct link to case:

http://1.usa.gov/QZxR90

• Tater-T
    Tater-T

bttt

• DNCall
    DNCall

Today, the parties stipulated to extending the time for the WTS to file it's opening brief from January 7 to February 6, 2013. Should Watchtower file on that date and not apply for another extension, Candace's respondent's brief will be due 30 days later (in March).

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Perhaps WT is hoping armageddon will come before Feb. 6? I don't know why they'd need an extension. It's not like bethel was closed during the holidays.

• Chaserious
    Chaserious

It's fairly common to get an extension on the initial deadline. Although I was hoping to see the paperwork on Monday.

To answer the earlier question, I don't think that the WTS appellate lawyers are JWs. Looking at the website bios of the two attorneys at the firm:

Boudreau "e njoys public service through volunteer assignments on the Board of Directors for Father Joe's Villages and Mater Dei Catholic High School."

So he's obviously not a witness

Nothing quite as obvious on Williams' profile. However it does say that he " enjoys spending time with his wife and two young sons, cycling, and surfing. He has also trained for and completed fifteen triathlons in the last six years." Somehow I doubt that someone would have time to be a JW, practice law, cycle, surf, and do 15 triathlons. After all, bodily training is only beneficial for a little... lol.

• l p
    l p

ha ha ha funny chaserious

• Scott77
    Scott77

Looking at the website bios of the two attorneys at the firm:

Boudreau "e njoys public service through volunteer assignments on the Board of Directors for Father Joe's Villages and Mater Dei Catholic High School."

So he's obviously not a witness

Chaserious

Very interesting. Given the Watchtower's hatred for all things Catholic, I find the use of the his professional legal services somehow ironical.

Scott77

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit