My Baptism Story

by DT 8 Replies latest jw friends

• DT
    DT

I have been thinking about how the events surrounding my baptism may be of some interest to this board, so here is my story.

I began to talk about baptism when I was seven, but nobody took me seriously. I let the matter drop until I was ten. I was persistent this time so arrangements were made for the elders to go over the questions with me.

At the time, it was customary for baptismal candidates to study the Live Forever and United In Worship books. I already studied these in a haphazard manner at the book studies, but it was suggested that I go over them again. I did this on my own, underlining the few chapters that I missed when preparing for the book studies.

I found the question sessions with the elders to be pretty easy, with the exception of one question that caught me off guard. It had something to do with if I had already dedicated my life to God in prayer. I hadn't done this formally at a specific time. I mentioned in my prayers that this was my desire and I felt that God and I had an understanding. I thought that the baptism would seal the deal. I told the elder that I misunderstood the exact procedure and would perform that ritual soon. (It occurs to me now that they never followed up to see if this actually happened.)

That night I offered up my dedication prayer. I don't remember all the details, but I specifically remember promising that I would never be part of an organization that commits spiritual fornication. I think the Watchtower must have been focusing on that issue around that time.

When the question sessions were over, the elders said they would meet and let me know if they decided I was qualified for baptism.

The day for the circuit assembly arrived and I still didn't have an answer. When I talked to an elder, I was told that they still had to discuss it. The program started and I still didn't know if I could get baptized. I kept looking for an elder to give me an answer. Eventually the baptism talk started and there was an announcement that all baptism candidates should be seated in the assigned section. It was getting serious. It could be several months before the next assembly and what if Armageddon happened first? I was at that awkward age when I couldn't be sure if I would survive unless I was baptized.

My mom knew that one of the elders was working in the first aid department, so she suggested I go there to find out. When I opened the door to the first aid department I was greeted with a bare breasted mother nursing her child!

I left in embarrassment and returned to my seat and told my mom about this unexpected obstacle. She told me that the first aid department and the nursing mothers section were sharing the same room. She told me to look immediately to my left when I entered the room and then take the first door to the left.

I did this with my hand shielding my face to prevent another embarrassing incident. I then learned that I could, in fact, get baptized. I also learned that a partition was expected that would divide the room into two sections. In the meantime, everybody was trying to make do with the current "theocratic arrangement".

I quickly found a seat for the remainder of the baptism talk and answered the two pre1985 questions that didn't involve being baptized into an organization.

After getting into my swimming trunks, I had to go down some long and narrow hallways and eventually came to a small pool in an utility room. It wasn't a very public expression of my dedication since it was only witnessed by one person who actually knew me, my mom.

And that was that. I was now qualified to conduct meetings for field service and direct car groups and did so on a regular basis because I was in a small congregation. The older sisters in the congregation had to submit to another bizarre "theocratic arrangement" that involved a preteen directing their actions in the ministry.

I may have forgotten about the details of my dedication prayer if it weren't for the strange and stressful events that happened before I was baptized. However, this came vividly back to my mind when I learned about the Watchtower association with the United Nations as an NGO for almost ten years. This was blatent spiritual fornication according to the understanding when I made my dedication. I felt that I wouldn't be living up to my dedication if I remained a Jehovah's Witness. I disassociated a few weeks later. By that time, I had many more reasons for wanting to leave, but the UN scandal was one of the most important.

I think it's ironic how my baptism directly led to my disassociation.

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

Interesting story!

You were a pretty insightful 10 year old! I'd have to admit that at 10 I was more entralled by the NFL, BMX bikes, and the teenage neighbor girl that was 5 years older than me.

• PaintedToeNail
    PaintedToeNail

It is truly sad how the borg plays upon the fears of the very young to get them baptised at a young age, an age where they are too young to really realize what they are getting into. The fear of being dead forever and of armageddon are used to manipulate impressionable kids. Child abuse actually.

• Tylinbrando
    Tylinbrando

I was baptized young and experienced similar stories as you. I remember feeling guilty as the pioneer sisters laughingly and lovingly allowed me to "lead" them.

Someone dropped the ball on letting you know you qualified. When you got into trouble you could have mentioned your baptism was probably not valid.

You willfully disassociated yourself or did you get disfellowshipped?

• DT
    DT

"Someone dropped the ball on letting you know you qualified. When you got into trouble you could have mentioned your baptism was probably not valid.

You willfully disassociated yourself or did you get disfellowshipped?"

Yes, it was a lot of extra stress for an event that was supposed to be positive. It sounded like they were just busy and left this task for the last minute.

I willfully disassociated, partly because I still believed in God and thought he would be displeased if I made a mockery of my dedication by remaining a JW. I don't regret the decision, even though my beliefs have changed since then.

• whathappened
    whathappened

Interesting story. You were such a sweet little boy and wanted to do the right thing.

I was baptised at 17 in 1971. I just recently recalled how I had last minute doubts because I couldn't understand how the only true religion could be made up of such a tiny group. I asked the full time pioneer sister who studied with me how Jehovah's Witnesses got started. She said that it started with a small group of sincere Bible students who got together to study the Bible and realised that none of the religions out there were teaching the Bible. That sounded so quaint and I put all my doubts to the side and got baptised at the next district assembly.

Fast forward 39 years and I find out it was founded by a man who stole most of his views from the Second Day Adventists and who believed in pyramidology and all kinds of crazy stuff. Boy, was I mad!

The Watchtower willfully does not educate it's baptismal candidates about the true origins of the Society. They should be ashamed of themselves.

• Lied2NoMore
    Lied2NoMore

REPOSTED FROM OTHER THREAD:

Here is my true baptism story and I'm gonna try to convince elders my baptism was invalid. I was 16 and went thru questions. After last set of questions the elder told me he didn't recommend me to get baptized at that time. But he did say I could make my own choice. During the stand for two questions oath I realized I had not made a prayerful dedication to Jehovah. So, I never said yes to either question. I was scared and embarrassed and wondered if I should skip baptism but feeling too much pressure so I took the dunk. I think I could make a case for not following direction of organization and going thru with dunk under duress makes my baptism questionable or entirely invalid. Someday I will make my case with a secret camera ala ray publisher

IT SEEMS ODD WT THINKS BAPTISM GIVES THEM LEGAL RIGHT TO RUN YOUR LIFE. IN REAL LIFE YOU NEED TO BE LEGAL AGE TO SIGN A CONTRACT BUT IF YOU SPLASH IN WT HOLY WATER AT ANY AGE IT'S A LEGAL CONTRACT TO THEM

• eva luna
    eva luna

Interesting Story DT...

I was a preteen in 75 and out in service with the single pioneer sisters. They told me that since I was not baptized I was going to die in armegedon . I said , but I thought my parents would protect me, they said nope, youre old enough.

Scared me to death. Beacause I really belived that in the US we would all go to Nazi styled concentration camps. Like that '74 yearbook rambled on about. WE would be tourtured , etc.

So I asked to be baptized at the next circut assembly. At that time, we had a large group , maybe 15 , and we did the questions together with one elder.

During my baptisim talk , I heard the speaker talk about this being the outword part of our dedication. Being that we had already prayed to Jehovah about our dedication before. I hadnt ! But went along to the pool and got dunked.

An elders wife told me I wasnt really baptized and should redo it. But I think she was looking for an easy study. I've often wondered at the validilaty of the dedication. If there is a way to say I never was baptized. I've never pioneered, and my cards "somehow" disapeared when I moved. Ive never asked a real elder about it though.

I'd love to be able to say I was never baptized. ....But I did get wet...LOL

• jemba
    jemba

I think even if you lied and said you never actually dedicated yourself to Jah they still wouldnt let you off because you outwardly still showed you were dedicated by getting baptised.

There will never be an easy way out of this cult.

Even if you were 8 when you were baptised they will say you lived up to your baptism all those years so youre stuck with us now.

Im so glad my kids dont have to worry about this crap and think they may die at armaggedon every time they 'sin'. Way too much baggage for kids to carry!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit