Girl killed by hockey puck at NHL game

by MegaDude 5 Replies latest social physical

• MegaDude
    MegaDude

Girl Hit by Puck at NHL Game Dies
    COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) - Seconds after being hit by a puck as she watched an NHL game, 13-year-old Brittanie Cecil held a jacket to her head to staunch the bleeding and walked to an exit.

Two days later she was dead, the first such fan fatality and one of the few at an American sports event, other than auto racing, directly related to action on the field.

An eighth grader at Twin Valley South Middle School near Dayton, Brittanie would have turned 14 on Wednesday.

The girl was struck in the head by a shot early in the second period of Saturday night's game between the Columbus Blue Jackets and Calgary Flames at Nationwide Arena.

Columbus center Espen Knutsen's slap shot from the top of the left circle appeared to be deflected by a defenseman, with the puck flying over the high glass at the west end of the ice. It appeared to glance off another spectator and hit the teen in the left temple, witnesses said.

Arena officials and medical personnel immediately approached the girl and helped her out of her seat - some 15 rows above the ice - and up the steps to the exit.

Hospital officials would not disclose the cause of her death Monday night and relatives declined comment. Her classmates were in mourning and the small town where she lived was overcome by the loss.

``I spoke to Brittanie's father this morning,'' Blue Jackets president and general manager Doug MacLean said, teary eyed and his voice choking. ``As a father of a 14-year-old and an 11-year-old, I can't imagine the grief the family is experiencing.''

In a statement, NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman said, ``Our fans are our family, and this tragic accident fills us all with a deep sense of sorrow.''

Children's Hospital confirmed the girl had died but at the family's request did not provide additional information about how long she had been in the hospital or the nature of her injury.

A brief news release issued by the hospital said the girl's parents had donated her organs ``in the hope that others will be blessed as much as they were by her life.''

Dr. James Kelly of the Chicago Neurological Institute said he could not offer an opinion on the cause of death based on the little he knew about the case.

``Delayed death is not unheard of from a head injury,'' Kelly said. ``But there are so many reasons that it could happen.''

The small farming town of almost 1,500 where Brittanie lived, West Alexandria, was in shock.

``Everybody knows everybody. The kids are very close in this town,'' said Stacy Habekost, who runs a beauty shop. She said the girl's aunt used to work at the salon and that Brittanie had her hair cut there.

``She's a pretty little girl,'' Habekost said.

Teams warn spectators over the public-address system about pucks flying into the crowd. They also place warnings on scoreboards and on the back of each ticket to try to minimize their liability.

Although rare, spectators have been killed and seriously injured at minor league hockey games. In the low minor leagues and the amateur ranks, the glass is not as high around the rink.

There have been three reported deaths - two in Canada and one in Spokane, Wash. - due to a fan being struck by a puck since 1979.

Baseball's Hall of Fame said its records showed at least five deaths of spectators struck by batted or thrown balls, including 14-year-old Alan Fish at a Los Angeles Dodgers' game in 1970.

No similar deaths were found in basketball or football.

• Simon
    Simon

What a sad story

Poor young lady and poor family ... what a loss

• Beans
    Beans

Mega:

This is so sad,as I have attended many games here in Toronto I often wonder if I would bring my children to a game. As a goalie I have taken many blows to the head,one even cracking my helmut in half. I also walk around most of the season bruised up from pucks hitting me so I am aware how much of a danger this is. When your in the stands you can`t take your eye off the puck like the players.

Beans

• Gopher
    Gopher

This is very sad. I'm amazed this has never happened at a professional (NHL) game until now. Watching games, I see pucks flying out of the arena at lightning speed, and wonder exactly where they land.

It is a freak accident, there's really nothing that can be done to make the sport safer for fans. Even if you keep your eye on the puck, it can be projected so quickly, and as in this case, it can be deflected, so you as a spectator have no chance to safely duck from the puck.

-J.R., member, UADNA-MN
    (Unseen Apostate Directorate of North America - Minnesota division)

This post was not evaluated by any mental health professionals.
    Any opinions expressed are those of a fuzzy, cuddly rodent.

• teenyuck
    teenyuck

This is incredible!

I was at the game! We have tickets to all the home games and sit directly opposite from where she was hit. They showed her getting hit, during the time it took to get her out, on the overhead monitor. She was sitting at about 1 o'clock to the goal, about 20 rows up. We sit at about the same angle, but at row 24.

Since she walked out, everyone took for granted she was ok. A three year old boy was hit about 1 1/2 months ago and he survived.

When the Blue Jackets came to town, it was our first pro team in Columbus. Other than Ohio State...They have sold out every game because of the PSL system. That is a Personal Seat License. You pay for the right to buy tickets in a certain seat. Each seat has it's own price. In the area where the poor young girl was, it is all PSL seats.

I never understood why parents are bringing these small children to games. The older kids are interested in the people around them and the younger ones fall asleep or scream to go home.

There are always children around us. We see the same families and children, time after time. The teen girls that sit around us do not pay attention to the game...they are checking out the crowd, looking for boys their age.

The worst thing is that she could not prevent it. The puck hit her in the temple, where it is softer. If it had hit her head on, in the forehead, like the little boy got hit, she probably would have lived.

I cannot believe she died. It is so sad.

• bboyneko
    bboyneko

She probably died of a massive brain heemorhage. Death from internal bleeding in the brain is quick.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit