Coping With Atheism (Long-ish Post...sorry!)

by humblepotato 72 Replies latest jw friends

• maksutov
    maksutov
    Hi humblepotato.

Adjusting to atheism can take a while. For me, the initial adjustment was quite quick and a lot less painful than I thought it would be. I suppose the thought of spending the rest of my life knocking on doors and devoting all my spare time to JW pursuits was more painful than the idea of having my life back and dying in a few decades. Even so, going from "I'm gonna live forever!" to "I'm gonna die!" is never going to be easy.

After accepting my own mortality, I still struggled, in fact, at times, still do struggle, with the feeling that I am wasting time, or that whatever I do is futile as I'll be dead soon anyway. There are some things I find helpful in dealing with this - whether they will be helpful to anyone else, I don't know, but maybe you will find your own little helpers as time goes on. Here are some thoughts that help me:

1) When my wife's grandfather discovered he had terminal cancer, he said "Oh well, I've had a good life." - and he seemed very calm, almost content ('old and satisfied with days' you might say). I aspire to be able to say the same thing when my time comes.

2) Having thought about that a bit more, I realised that already I have had a good life. If I die today, I have had a much better life than the vast majority of people and animals that have ever existed. I have had some amazing experiences, and I cherish those.

3) The alternative to facing up to the reality of my own mortality is to deny it. If I do that, it might make me less anxious, but it also causes me to value my life less and waste the precious little time I have available. Knowing that I only have a short time at least lets me prioritise better and make the best use I can of the time I have. Denying the fragility of life also means denying its value.

4) I have started going to philosophy meetups, and this has helped me to view things, well, philosophically! I used to obsess over the fact that the present moment is in the past before I've even finished formulating that thought, that whatever I am doing right now is pointless because it will be over soon, that the future is just the past waiting to happen, that the rest of my life will be over in a flash, etc. But philosophy has helped me to see that the present is something you take with you - it is never in the past, it is always with you, and always will be. The present moment is the most important thing, and being attentive to it, excluding external irrelevancies can enable you to find a sense of contentment that is not dependent on other people, on the past, the future, or events outside your control.

5) Figure out what activities and pursuits bring you the greatest sense of pleasure and accomplishment, and prioritise them. This is not always easy, but if you can get into a state of 'flow' - where you are absorbed in an activity you enjoy (playing an instrument, riding a motorbike, even watching a gripping TV show), your level of satisfaction with life will increase.

6) Even when you are not doing something that you especially enjoy, being mindful of your surroundings and appreciating the natural world can also be therapeutic.

7) Try to find ways of helping others - donate to charity, do some charity fundraising, volunteer, even just answering posts on a forum like this.
  • Vidiot
    Vidiot

@ humblepotato...

Thanks you for using paragraphs.

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

It makes every day more precious, not less....also, welcome to adult reasoning and congratulations on dismissing fantasy, myth and fairytales for the masses ........

Truth or comfort, the big spiritual question for a human,

• defender of truth
    defender of truth

Perry said: "However, ALL people know God exists deep down."

What evidence do you have to support such a blanket statement, that you have made on behalf of the entire human race?

You have even defined your 'God' as Jesus in your post. Would you care to explain to over a billion Muslims how you came to the conclusion that they all know Jesus is God, but they deny it deep down inside??

Assuming that you meant everyone knows that 'a' God exists, even if that was true, how do they 'know' how many Gods there are, or which one they can believe in specifically? Allah, Zeus, Jesus, Ra? Etc.

Any person could only 'know' that Jesus is God based on the words in the Bible. And anyone knows that the Gospel records are not accepted as being trustworthy, let alone true , by many people worldwide..

So what do you base your statement on, exactly?

I would like to see some evidence, or perhaps a retraction of such a baseless claim.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Greetings HumblePotato, Welcome, you are!

As an atheist, I'll readily admit that there's a lot that I don't know. But there's a lot that I'm certain of:

• The bible is a fictional story book. It may have some valuable moral lessons that people can learn from... but the Harry Potter books and Smurfs cartoons have valuable moral lessons too. But the bible also contains plenty of morals, lessons, and stories that are wrong now and were wrong then. (A rape victim must marry her rapist? That is completely f###ed up.)
    • All the other religious belief systems I've examined claim they are "true". Yet, under critical examination they are not profound religious "truth" either.
    • There are religious groups that do good works, but I might as well join a social club and volunteer for charities instead. They do good works without wasting time on theology.
    • Is there a higher power/spirit/god(s) that exist but are giving us the silent treatment? Is there some other life after death that those on the other side cannot communicate back to us? Or is there some type of reincarnation? Maybe, maybe not. Spending time looking for answers that aren't there (or coming up with more unanswered questions) is time that could be spent doing other productive and enjoyable things.

You've probably already seen it, but here's a link to my thread about asking questions without really setting off the "apostate detectors":

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/254990/exjw-psychology-102-how-ask-question-when-questions-arent-allowed

Since you've already seen how JWs will jump all over you if you express doubts, putting the questions in the context of maybe just one question encountered in FS, from a relative, or at work, puts the discussion in an entirely different context. "I know the Bible must be true, but how do I answer my workmate who questions how we don't believe in evolution, yet we do believe that the millions of species of animals could have fit in a floating box about 4000 years ago. I guess we don't have an answer and I'll just have to stop talking about it and stop preaching to him."

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

i thought i was reading my own life story then. except it all happened over 40 years ago for me.

It felt like I was reading my recent story of life as well. The big difference I see is that you (Mr Potato) are about 30 years old (unless I'm figuring something wrong here). I was on the fast track in my teens & 20's just as you were. I did very well climbing the WT Corporate Ladder. Thus, I didn't wake up for an additional 25 years (or more).

Where does one go or what does one do after learning TTATT?

Well, at my age, one purchases cemetery plots and comes to realize that they will be needed (despite being told for decades I'd never get old or die) and that they will serve as our "resting place" for the future millenniums of our dirt nap.

You, on the other hand, still have the rest of your life ahead of you and you will not foolishly squander it selling pamphlets and promoting lies and BS to other innocent potential victims.

I never thought my wife would join me in my thinking. The fact was that she was already far ahead of me than I ever imagined.

Your mileage may very, but you're in for one hell of an emotional rollercoaster ride.

Good luck,

Doc

• cultBgone
    cultBgone

Freemindfade, great list! So true.

Snare, I so agree with your comment. Each day of life IS precious, and those who think that some imaginary fairytale paradise in the far off future is real...miss most of the joy of life.

Humblespud, so glad you have not wasted the bulk of your life missing out on your real life. If there's one truth in the bible, it's that the truth will set you free...and you are on your way to that glorious freedom. You may need to allow some time for grief, as the reality of non-eternal life hits hard...but it's really like having scales fall from your eyes and seeing that life is pretty cool after all. So glad you decided to post here, and welcome!

• Perry
    Perry

Here you go D of T,

CHILDREN ARE BORN WITH BELIEF IN GOD

Extra-biblical source above.

I believe that atheism, for many adherents, is an attempt at emotional regulation. (SEE SUPPORTING LINKS IN PREVIOUS POST) The bible claims this position is simple "suppression". I'm not picking on atheists here, we have all engaged in suppression at one time or another. Listening closely to how many atheists express themselves supports this view, even if the bible didn't say so and there were no studies on atheists to rely on such as the one I previously linked to.

This view solves a number of logical contradictions in many atheists, like how they can on the one hand claim to be without belief and on the other hand express strong emotions about God and those that claim to believe (and those that claim to KNOW) he exists.

The person who started this thread first characterized himself to be without belief in God, then later expressed angst at not feeling that God cares.

The bible says that we are born as enemies of God, having no relationship with him. It further claims in Roman 8:7 that...

"the mind set on the flesh is hostile toward God; for it does not subject itself to the law of God, for it is not even able to do so"

The posters' intuition is working EXACTLY the way it was created to.This goes a long way to explain atheist contradictions.

The Watchtower system of works and group speciality agrees with our carnal mind that wants to believe we can make friends with God through effort, ie. good works (in this case, as defined by the Wt.)

Since he has now abandoned this work, he suppresses the obvious fact of Gods existence and instead rightly and correctly expresses his feelings of alienation from God. This alienation from God has in fact been there all along, from birth.

Previously it was the alienation from God itself that was suppressed by the works-based approach to God as we all worked the Watchtower program. Now, it is simply God himself that is suppressed.... for some.

It is not an easy thing to believe that there is both a God, and the fact that we are his enemy..... in spite of our various attempts at goodness. Yet, that fact explains a lot of our experience in this world.

• cofty
    cofty

There is no contradiction in rejecting the grandiose claims of christian theism and having strong feelings that it is harmful and should be opposed.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

I realized that I couldn't definitively know if there was a God or not. I did know that there was no evidence of God. So, you have to be okay with saying, "I don't know."

We're trained as Witnesses that there are answers for every question,

when that just isn't true......cappytan

Image result for Agnostic...Image result for Agnostic...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit