"Normal family affections and dealings" continue - If only?!?

by LHS123 57 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

LHS123 - "One of the issues I have been looking at is shunning - and I was shocked to see the misleading information about shunning on the Jw.org website..."

Welcome.

Once again for the newbies, lurkers and trolls ('specially, in this case, newbies)...

x

...if you have to cheat to defend your beliefs, your beliefs don't deserve to be defended.

I actually want to get this tattooed somewhere.

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    Giordano: Keep in mind that the Jw's and the WTBTS are in bed with a threesome of studipity on this matter of shunning......The Mormon's, Scientology, and the Amish.

Add one more: the Baha'i faith practices shunning. The Baha'i's, like the JWs, have evolved from a charismatic leader to another hierarchical organization run by a 'governing body'.

• InquiryMan
    InquiryMan

I remember years back the statements was really misleading as was stated above. I did write to the public relations brother in my country (at this time being an elder and in good standing obviously) making clear that I disapproved of the doublespeak made to the public by the website, in media versus inside "loving guidance". Two months later the wording was changed on the website. Quite a coincidence, or maybe not.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

OnTheWayOut - "...they have learned to sort of lie to themselves..."

"Sort of"?

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Giordano - "...the WTBTS are in bed with a threesome of studipity on this matter of shunning...the Mormon's, Scientology, and the Amish."

Terrific.

Now I'm imagining the kids that would result from that kind of (literal or figurative) clusterf**k...

• sd-7
    sd-7

They are blatantly lying to the public. Statements like the original post are the reason why they must surely have felt it necessary to create the Study Edition Watchtower. Because such statements as the one about not even e-mailing family members who are being shunned would be more easily accessible to public scrutiny if couched inside the issues offered to the public. (Sure, it's still on the Internet now, but hopefully you take my meaning.)

I used to detect a measure of dishonesty in statements made to the public, but as a JW I'd felt the ends justified the means. That once they joined up, all would be well, they'd find out the real deal anyway, and by then they'd be good soldiers for the cause and it wouldn't matter.

I have fond memories of my older brother insulting me, calling me stupid, as I tried to explain to my family the reasons I had for parting ways with the JWs. It ended in classic form, with him saying to me in parting, "I wasn't sh-- to you. F--- you!" and storming out of our parents' house. Of course, it was all about him, wasn't it? After seeing that display, and realizing that this was an appointed man, a servant to the congregation, I found that it was good riddance of someone who was never really my brother save that we share similar DNA.

So if it wasn't clear, normal family affections and dealings DO NOT and CANNOT CONTINUE with former members of the group.

Fact checker: This statement is ---->>>FALSE.

--sd-7

• JakeM2012
    JakeM2012

You don't even have to be a former member, disfellowshipped, disassociated, publicly reproved etc to feel the hate of the family. If you are not doing the Nazi quick step to the beat of Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society's drum, your family will pull away from you.

SD-7 I have a similar situation in my family, they self righteously assume that they hold the high moral ground and that I am not worthy to associate with them. One brother is a pathological liar and I believe a psychopath, and is working at Warwick on the new retirement home for WTBTS.

I really don't want anything to do with them, they are not the type of friends that I want. My whole life I've said to myself "Why can't I have a better quality of friends", well I found out that I had to look outside the box to find them.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Vidiot: ... if you have to cheat to defend your beliefs, your beliefs don't deserve to be defended. I actually want to get this tattooed somewhere.

How about on the forehead of each member of the GB!

• done4good
    done4good

FMF: I was also told by someone I have been so close to for 35 years "I am not shunning you, I just won't do anything with you socially, I wont follow you on social media, etc, but I AM NOT SHUNNING YOU, we just wont do anything together again"...

JW's lie to everyone, including themselves. They are completely dishonest about who they are and what they believe, even to themselves.

Just one minor point of clarification. They lie to themselves first, which is precisely why they can lie to everyone else and not even know it.

d4g

• done4good
    done4good

freemindfade - During this time I heard it said to me or my spouse "using the word shunned is an apostate word"... while there it is in print. I was also told by someone I have been so close to for 35 years "I am not shunning you, I just won't do anything with you socially, I wont follow you on social media, etc, but I AM NOT SHUNNING YOU, we just wont do anything together again"...

Unfortunately, this type of anti-logic is almost impossible to reason with. You need to get them to understand logical fallacies first. You likely will not be able to have the ability to get that far in conversation.

d4g

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit