Why are people burning their city to the ground in Baltimore? How doe Looting and Mob Violence Help?

by PokerPlayerPhil 184 Replies latest social current

• adjusted knowledge
    adjusted knowledge

paulmolark, Thanks for your personal story. Perhaps been best to share that at the beginning of the conversation.

It will be interesting to see how the jury selection process will be handled. These six police officers whether innocent or guilty will be punished. One way around double jeopardy is going after them in federal court for civil rights violation.

• paulmolark
    paulmolark

Its amazing in that riot that many historians consider one of this nations first acts of domestic terrorism had white residents commandeer Left over world war one planes from a local airbase and they dropped indendiary bombs on the local residents.

Sofia Lose - one thing that would have also been interesting is to show that from the mid 1800's till the early 1900's there was an enormous number of WHITE Inspired race riots against African Americans. These riots were usually the result of poor whites who felt they were being left behind economically and were jealous or they just ,"felt like lynching a ni**er" not my words that is a quote taken from one of the individuals in a paper from the early twentieth century.

Some were sponsored by local governments and almost all of them resulted in zero or a small handful of arrests of whites. At the same time the blacks who had these things perpetrated against them were thrown in jail merely for fighting back. Somehow this stigma did not stick with these people but the race riots of the 60's stuck with african americans.

1500's - 1860's - Slavery

1860's - 1960's Jim Crow and all the lynching etc... that went along with it

1960 - 1980 was a medley of:

Cointelpro

Tuskegee Experiment (Yeah , the government knowingly infected Black people with syphillis just to see how that turned out for them.) Some may like to read up on this but probably not.

Unequal schooling and housing practices.

Assassination by the government of all the black leaders that actually meant something to them.

Unequal pay, the war on drugs, the crushing of black nationalism etc... etc...

It's as if 1965 came around and everyone all of a sudden was on equal footing and black people needed to stop complaining about not being treated equally. Mind you during Jim Crow and into today banks exercised predatory lending targeting certain communities. You take this in not to mention the tidal wave of things that did not even make this list yet people wonder why those blacks aren't doing well and why are they so mad.

of course none of that matters since it happened so so long ago.

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus

You didnt mention how someone seeing things differently is equilivant to being less than objective.

Right wing media...? What have i or anyone else mentioned that is related to "right wing media"?

And as for tulsa....sigh.... You do know MD was a union state, right? Nevermind. Its very difficult to reason with people who know nothing about the local culture or "vibe" but make emphatic statements about tulsa from 100 years ago, things that wouldnt have fit Maryland even then let alone now. I officially surrender on this one. I will let passion have its sway.

• paulmolark
    paulmolark

"One way around double jeopardy is going after them in federal court for civil rights violation."

Honestly I doubt that it will really matter much what takes place in this case, guilty or not guilty. The only thing that will happen is that racial tension in this country will get worse. Just look at CNN or Fox news covering the story of the fact that the cops are being charged. Its not the articles to be afraid of but the comments. You can not go more than 3 comments without some form of racial sparring. The prosecutor being called a useless bitch or pandering to blacks or just being called a bitch with an axe to grind. Their comments... not mine. People show their true colors during anonymous discussions like that.

• paulmolark
    paulmolark

Morpheus I am not sure if you are aware of the real history of the city of baltimore that you live in a suburb or I am assuming or what that vibe has been like for years. (I have family who live where this is actually happening and I have the unique privilege of living through the newark riots of 1992 so I feel I have a grasp of the vide of oppression although I am far removed from it now).

Baltimore a Union state:

in 1910 adopted a residential segregation ordinance restricting black people to certain blocks in the city. The mayor and I quote stated Baltimore’s mayor proclaimed, “Blacks should be quarantined in isolated slums in order to reduce the incidence of civil disturbance, to prevent the spread of communicable disease into the nearby White neighborhoods, and to protect property values among the White majority.”

So your union state in 1910 prior to the Southern riots was also steeped with racism. Yes racism and inequality was part of the union states as well. In 1917 they formed a committee to encourage whites not to sell to blacks in certain areas.

In 1925, 18 Baltimore neighborhood associations came together to form the “Allied Civic and Protective Association” for the purpose of urging both new and existing property owners to sign restrictive covenants, which committed owners never to sell to an African American.

The FHA enacted measures to prevent blacks from byuying in subdivisions. So they all had to pack into ghettos and sub-standard living because of the segregation of the OFFICIALS OF BALTIMORE. This discrimination continued for decades forcing blacks in BALTIMORE into substandard housing / education systems etc...

Dare I say that an individual living in Newark slums or New York slums has more of a right to comment ACCURATELY on what the vibe is of Baltimore than someone who lives in a suburb or a section that will not see or truly be elected by the violence where it is taking place? I would think they would.

• Fisherman
    Fisherman
    There should be no excuse for brazen criminal conduct. On the other hand, people are very "Law and Order" supporters and advocates of law enforcers-until it hits their personal home, and then they sing a different tune.
  • Billyblobber
    Billyblobber
    That "he broke his own spine while in the van flinging himself around in there" story was one of the most ridiculous things I've heard from this whole thing, and it's amazing that so many people (not isolating here, around the Internet in general) tried to cling to that as some sort of "actual reality."

It's also rather crazy that 10,000 people were peacefully protesting there for a week because of a tipping point of the many, many documented cases of police brutality there over the years, and 2 city blocks erupt into chaos for an afternoon, and THAT'S what some people and a lot the media decide to focus on instead. The peaceful protests were barely covered that whole time - instead, the two blocks were shown over and over again on the news and on front pages the second it started.

On top of that, the chaos started when the police cut off access to public/school transportation in the middle of protests, as kids/teens were being let out of school, leaving them all on the streets and forced to find their own way home, basically, starting a chaotic situation in that area. Which was relatively contained, with residents and even some of the rioters helping to clean up after the next day.

Finally:

The death of Freddie Gray was a homicide, and six Baltimore police officers now face criminal charges that include second-degree murder and involuntary manslaughter, Baltimore chief prosecutor Marilyn J. Mosby says.

Mosby announced the charges Friday morning, citing her office's "thorough and independent" investigation and the medical examiner's report on Gray's death. She said warrants were issued Friday for the officers' arrest.

The city's recently elected state's attorney, Mosby detailed a range of charges against the officers, with offenses ranging from one count of second-degree murder and four counts of involuntary manslaughter to assault and misconduct in office.

The most severe charges are leveled against Officer Caesar R. Goodson Jr., identified as the driver of the van that transported Gray to a police station. The charges against Goodson include second-degree depraved heart murder, which carries a maximum penalty of 30 years in prison.

The investigation by the prosecutor's office found there had been no reason to detain Gray — and that his arrest was in itself illegal, Mosby said. She said the knife that police officers found on Gray turned out to be legal.

After announcing the charges, Mosby noted her own ties to the police community — including her mother, father and grandfather, who were police officers. She thanked officers who are committed to serving the community.

We'll have more details from the announcement and any documents released by the prosecutor's office.

• paulmolark
    paulmolark

let's not forget that super thug Freddie Grey was also able to crush his own larynx while he was handcuffed.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

The peaceful protests were barely covered that whole time -

That should answer the question in the original post.

Peaceful protests go unnoticed.

If people could get the needed changes by just talking, they would do so. But our politicians no longer listen to their constituents, because they are too busy sucking up to the BIZ CEOs with the Big Bucks because it takes Million$ to get elected.

Doc

• paulmolark
    paulmolark

"Peaceful protests go unnoticed."

YOU JUST WON THE INTERNET

AS much as people like to talk about the non-violent approach, reality is reality

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit