Why are people burning their city to the ground in Baltimore? How doe Looting and Mob Violence Help?

by PokerPlayerPhil 184 Replies latest social current

• adjusted knowledge
    adjusted knowledge

Many years ago in college I had Philosophy teacher give this narrative that upset the black students in the class.

He stated as a white man he walked down a street and was mugged by a black man. Then a few months later it happened again. Over a course of a few years this incident happened another nine times but with even more violence involved. The he concluded, would it not be reasonable and valid that this person have a negative opinion about black males. His point is that life experience can have a heavy influence on your perception, regardless of facts.

It is quite possible that Paulmolark has experienced in his lifetime events that shape his world view. To the point where it brings forth anger and frustration. These core value issues: race, guns, abortion,... I never see or rarely see anyone concede on a single point or argument. It is almost a useless exercise.

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus

And that is certainly true. Experiance is a harsh instructor. I tend to hope that on any topic we can have an inteligent even if impassioned discusion. It may not change any minds today but perhaps one or both sides of a discussion will consider it in the long run.

I normally dont get involved in these deabtes on the board for that very reason but this one, because it is indeed where i live, is personal.

i get it. I dont take annomious internet insults personally. Some people like being keyboard commandos, but If you cant formulate an argument for your POV and devolve into irrational insults and foolish 'i hope you die' drivel then maybe a discussion bord isnt for that person. i should have reworded my response and refrained from addressing him as a fool personally and for that i appoligize, however i stand by the idea that addressing the situtaion with authority from a distance is foolish.

I also appreciate simon trying to restore and keep decorum and i will do my part to keep it within bounds.

• paulmolark
    paulmolark

Well it is quite possible that the people in oppressed communities constantly see police officers shoot people, beat people etc... etc... which is the reason why they are protesting and rioting. It is possible that they have seen the corruption of the Baltimore police in framing young men and women in their community for years.

It is not only possible but factual that in the last 4 years the Baltimore police department has lost over 100 cases or judgements in regards to police brutality and paid out over 5.8 million dollars.

http://data.baltimoresun.com/news/police-settlements/

So when you have people who live in these communities who constantly experience these things at the hands of the police, what reason do they have to think that this one particular case everything was on the up and up. Why would it matter if it was to most of them because in another day or two they will witness the same thing happen to them.

These same activities take place in every major city and the residents are upset and so the respond. When you have never had the experience of walking home with your father from field service and watching a police car jam on the breaks, officers jump out slam him on the ground go through his pockets find nothing but cuff him anyway and then put him in the back of a car for 20 minutes while you and your siblings and then have him released with a smile and a chuckle its hard to fathom how degrading this is. Then imagine that happening in front of you to your friends on a fairly regular basis. Maybe you can understand the anger then

Of course as a young man I lived in communities where I saw these things happen and on a much larger scale because there was no recording device to capture it. I was able to do well for myself and them move to what some may consider upscale communities in an attempt to escape. Instead I was pulled over quite often and harassed. I made complaints and nothing happened twice.

So yes I have an interesting perspective, but there are also facts to backup what I am stating. Yes, I am angry because I have a son who I have to let know that it is not enough to not be involved in crime he has to be EXTRA careful and even then it still might not matter.

When someone says they do not take insults personally, and talk about people being internet commandos yet you were the person to insult someone else first by calling them a fool which you know very well as stated you would not say to the face of someone standing in front of you. That is the textbook definition of an internet commando. Of course, you have your board mates who will jump to your side but lets be serious Go die in a fire is just a funny piece of internet humor that has been around for ions and I doubt anyone would take that seriously accept the two people who did.

• paulmolark
    paulmolark
    "You seriously think that is comparable to "Go die in a fire"?

If so, you are not a fool, you're an idiot."

Only a complete idiot would think when someone uses the rather common internet lingo of "go die in a fire" they actually mean that literally.

• paulmolark
    paulmolark

http://www.msnbc.com/all-in/watch/prisoner-in-van-with-freddie-gray-speaks-out-437306435539?cid=sm_fb_msnbc_native

Now the other criminal tells his story. Then again he doesn't appear to be very well educated so he is probably lying now.

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus
    Breaking news: Grays death ruled a homicide
  • Sofia Lose
    Sofia Lose

If you dare show objectivism, check out "The Story of the Tulsa Riots" here:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLTpcK80irdQirLg6szYbMjNsiHywSu8vG

It will help you understand where the frustration comes from.

• paulmolark
    paulmolark
    That happened more than 10 years ago so it doesn't really matter much unfortunately
  • _Morpheus
    _Morpheus
    Why do you think that someone who dosent share your view isnt 'daring' to be objective? Why do you think a race riot in 1921 has a bearing on this case from baltimore in 2015?
  • Sofia Lose
    Sofia Lose

It is the history of it. It continues at a much smaller scale, but it continues today. It is much deeper than what the right wing media portrays. Please try to use empathy and understand.

SL

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit