Query - Luke 17v21/Acts 1v18

by musicnonstop 3 Replies latest jw friends

• musicnonstop
    musicnonstop

Hoping someone can enlighten me here...

The above couple of fragments of scripture popped into my head the other day... in the NWT, the first refers to Jesus' words re the kingdom of God being "in your midst" (which other translations render as "within you"); the second, referring to Judas' suicide, says he "noisily burst in HIS midst"

I don't have a Greek interlinear these days, so what I'm wanting to know is: is the same original Greek term used in both cases? In Luke, the WT's rendering carries the sense of 'among'; if you go with the 'within' rendering, then it would be feasible (to me) that the same word would be used in both places, as what happened to Judas could be said to have happened from 'within' him.

I'm curious because if it IS the same word both times, then the 'within' rendering would make more sense, and would confirm Jesus' words on the nature of the kingdom of God, which might be handy to bring up with my JW mother at some point. Thanks!

"We are criminals that never broke no laws..."
    - Talking Heads, 'Sax And Violins'

• Amazing
    Amazing

HI: Two different Greek words are used in the verses you cite, but the meaning is similar:

KJV New Testament (Luke)
    Greek Lexicon Strong's Number: 1787
    Original Word Word Origin
    entoß from (1722)
    Transliterated Word TDNT Entry
    Entos None
    Phonetic Spelling Parts of Speech
    en-tos' Preposition

Definition

within, inside
    within you i.e. in the midst of you
    within you i.e. your soul

KJV New Testament (Acts)
    Greek Lexicon Strong's Number: 3319
    Original Word Word Origin
    mesoß from (3326)
    Transliterated Word TDNT Entry
    Mesos None
    Phonetic Spelling Parts of Speech
    mes'-os Adjective

Definition

middle
    the midst
    in the midst of, amongst

• Francois
    Francois

Seems that Amazing has provided the ammunition you need.

See, the GB doesn't want you to know that Jesus really said that the kingdom of heaven was "within" you. 'Cause if that's where it is, you have a DIRECT relationship with God. Thus it can be said that the scripture in Romans makes perfect sense, "for all who are led by the spirit of God are the children of God." How are you "led by the spirit?" You search for God, actually grope for him. You silence the chatter of the left brain, and as it is said so many times in the scripture "be still and know." You listen for the leading of that small, still voice of the spirit.

How do you get the left brain to cease it's constant chatter? Meditation helps, and that's precisely why the WT and virtually all religions, especially fundies, don't want you doing it. They don't want you getting in touch with your higher self. You won't need them any more. Thus these religions artifically keep you in a state of spiritual childhood and immaturity. But if you can make your left brain shut up you can hear or feel the leading of the spirit. The spirit only leads, it never drives, in every step of your forward growth, in every dark moment, in every instance where you're unsure, this spirit of Truth, the Helper, the Cosmic Mind, the Holy Ghost, call it what you may, will speak, saying "This is the way."

Isn't that so different from the raging demands of those who claim to speak for God? God wants you to make a choice, the choice to do His will. It is the ONLY gift that we CAN make to God. How can we know what is the will of God? "Be still and know." Inquire Within. Thus it can be said that God is closer to you than your own jugular vein.

$0.02

Francios

NOTE TO GOVERNING BODY: You've been challenged to a debate, boys. Dont you have ANY balls?

• AGuest
    AGuest

Re: the kingdom being IN our midst, that is, IN us, versus AMONG us...

... there's always the understanding of Romans 8:9, 10, 1 Corinthians 3:16 and Ephesians 2:19-211, yes, Francois?

Peace to you!

A slave of Christ,

SJ

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit