Guam Victims of childhood sexual abuse

by Sol Reform 0 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• Sol Reform
    Sol Reform

'Guam survivors of childhood sexual abuse' - in March of 2013 your two-year window to file a civil action will end.

BishopAccountability.org
    Sex Abuse Bills Now Public Law

By Erin Thompson
    Pacific Daily News
    March 9, 2011

http://www.guampdn.com/article/20110310/NEWS01/103100301

Gov. Eddie Calvo, left, shakes hands with Vice Speaker Benjamin Cruz after signing two bills, authored by Cruz, targeting sex abuse of minors. One of the laws opens a two-year window for past victims of child sexual abuse to file civil suit in the Superior Court of Guam; while the other eliminates the statute of limitation on sex crimes against those under the age of 18. The governor signed six other bills during the signing ceremony held at Adelup yesterday. / Erin Thompson/Pacific Daily News

Republican Gov. Eddie Calvo has drawn the accolades of one Democratic senator -- and the ire of another -- for taking action on nine bills passed by the 31st Guam Legislature last month.

In a move that surprised even the bill's sponsor, Calvo signed into law two bills on sex abuse -- including one that has been opposed publicly by the Catholic Church.

"I'm almost speechless, Governor," said Vice Speaker Benjamin Cruz, who introduced the legislation. "I want to commend you for this very courageous act. I know that it was difficult. I know that there were a lot of pressures that were placed upon you."

Bill 34, now Public Law No. 31-07, opens a two-year window for past victims of child sexual abuse to file civil suit in the Superior Court of Guam. Calvo also signed Bill 33, now Public Law No. 31-06, which eliminates the statute of limitation on sex crimes against those under the age of 18.

The bill came under fire from representatives of the Archdiocese of Agana, who asserted in public testimony that the bill targeted the Catholic Church. Senators also reported that they received phone calls ahead of the vote for the bill from Archbishop Anthony Apuron, who acknowledged that he reached out to senators and the governor to share his view on the legislation.

"I know Bill 34 has been controversial for certain reasons. I do believe it is so important that again, anyone who has committed a heinous act such as a violation of our most precious, our most innocent, that not only criminal remedies should occur, but civil as well," Calvo said moments before he signed the bill.

He said he had been concerned with earlier versions of the bill, which included mentions of institutions as well as individuals. He said he was afraid the mention of institutions could cause bankruptcy for organizations "that as a whole provide services and stability for the communities."

"That would hurt the greater good that these organizations perform," Calvo said.

In a press release issued yesterday, the Archdiocese of Agana said it had "reservations" about Bill 34, but noted that the governor "emphasized in his signing message that public and private institutions are not liable under the new law, and allows litigation against perpetrators alone."

TO THE POINT

The governor signed into law yesterday legislation that opens a two-year window for past victims of child sexual abuse to file civil suit and another measure that eliminates the statute of limitation on sex crimes against those under the age of 18

http://www.bishop-accountability.org/news2011/03_04/2011_03_09_Thompson_SexAbuse.htm

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit