Book recomend: Oranges are not the only fruit

by londonlady 3 Replies latest jw friends

• londonlady
    londonlady

i have just finished this book and cannot recomend it enough! For most of the book i was very suspisous that the author had been secretly stalking me my whole life.

It charts the story of "Jess" who is brought up in a cult like religon, its not JW's but it could be, it sounds almost the same. Its a warm hearted yet incredible story of how her strong charater enabled her to break free from the cult and find out who she really was.

Theres some truly excellent lines in it, my favorite being from the mad cult devote mother "you don't need an airing cupboard when youv'e got jesus!"

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I saw the BBC drama based on the somewhat autobiographical book some time ago, I haven't read the book.

If you go to the Wiki page on the author Jeanette Winterson, then go to Bibliography then click on the article "All about my mother", you, dear London Lady, may see even more parallels with your life !

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

londonlady I loved that book too. Especially when she got away and went to university. Didn't she go to Oxford? Really enjoyed that she finally escaped. I did see parallels with my life and her mother!

• panhandlegirl
    panhandlegirl

Ordering the book. Lots of reading to do this winter in front of the fireplace drinking wine. Have one more plane ride trip to the old county, Texas, before I can relax and read.

PHG.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit