Responsibility. Respect. Reverence... the three R's principle for living

by caliber 4 Replies latest jw friends

• caliber
    caliber

I had a lawyer friend first mention these three r's as an excellent set of principles to live by ... what do you all think ?

I looked up a few discussions on the net.. here is the essence of it.

Responsibility: the act of being responsible; that is, involving personal accountability or ability to ac t without guidance or superior authority; able to make moral or rational decisions on one’s own and therefore answerable for one’s behavior.

And we are accountable as individuals. It is not enough to blindly abide by the rules of the religion we embrace or to be governed by the laws of the land. It is not enough to do as we are told. We are personally accountable

Respect: to feel or show deferential regard for, esteem . To avoid violation of or interference with. To relate or refer to; concern.

We are to esteem every living being as equal to ourselves; to see that every living thing has an equal function, a destiny that is great and of sacred importance

Reverence. A feeling of profound awe and respect and often love; veneration.

We live not for our own selfish agendas, but for a greater good. There is something which is greater than ourselves
    To transcend for a time the mundane, the day to day, and to look at your life with a broad scope. A time for reflection and wonder. To open our eyes to the complexity and beauty of the world and consider your place in it
    I think that, whatever your set of beliefs may be, they include this: whatever this energy is, this sense of “greater than ourselves”, it is essentially good, by which I mean the essence of goodness; and capable of joy.

Add to this my lawyer friend said... "a sense of humor towards yourself first , only then , extending this to others"

• sabastious
  • caliber
    caliber

I believe these principles make sense but the bases for them must come down to things that soothe the spirit..

like the last line in the above quote

whatever your set of beliefs may be, they include this: whatever this energy is, this sense of “greater than ourselves”, it is essentially good, by which I mean the essence of goodness; and capable of joy.

Principles must bring pure and satisfying fulfillment as their reward

"The game is my wife. It demands loyalty and responsibility, and it gives me back fulfillment and peace. "
    Michael Jordan

• james_woods
    james_woods

These are useful elements of Ferrari ownership as well - if you do not want it to leave the road in violence.

• rip van winkle
    rip van winkle

Caliber, I like your three R's.

~~~This is how my brain works:

Responsibility= acknowledgement + action

Respect=appreciation+ admiration+honor

Reverence= awe+affection+ RESPECT

Thank you for sharing. These are fine principles to live by.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit