JW Dogma May Promote Murder/Suicides

by Nathan Natas 5 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

In light of the recent murder/suicide involving the Bryant family of McMinnville, Oregon, and the murder (no suicide) by Christian Longo of his family in Newport, Oregon, I'm opening this thread in the hope of shedding some light on the way that JW dogma may encourage such behavior.

Here is a link to an article in The Oregonian discussing the Bryant tragedy: http://www.oregonlive.com/news/oregonian/index.ssf?/xml/story.ssf/html_standard.xsl?/base/front_page/10163697352835756.xml

Here's a small portion of the aricle:

A man who feels hopeless and isolated, as Robert Bryant might have if family and church ties were severed, is at risk for suicide, said Dr. James Hancey, an assistant professor of psychiatry at Oregon Health and Science University. . . . But Hancey said why a man might kill his family before committing suicide is harder to discern. While he was not familiar with the details of Bryant tragedy, Hancey said, sometimes such actions are related to distorted religious thoughts but may arise from other factors.
    I contend that it is the JW dogma itself that is "distorted," not the thinking of the believer. For too long the Watchtower Society (the legal corporation of Jehovah's Witnesses) has blamed the victims.

Psychiatrists unfamiliar with JW dogma may not be able to discern why a JW man might murder his family before committing suicide, but I believe that as former JWs we may be able to offer an explanation that makes "perfect sense" - or is, as SixofNine put it - "IMPECCABLE'.

Naeblis has pointed out, in another thread, that without a suicide note we cannot tell exactly what Bob Bryant was thinking before he took the action he did. I'm not certain that that is entirely true. I think that if we know the man's beliefs we can begin to understand his motive.

Jeheovah's Witnesses believe that we live in an evil, demon-haunted world ruled by Satan the Devil. They believe that this evil world is scheduled for destruction at some time in the "not-too-distant" (but variably distant) future. This destruction will be a result of the Battle of Armageddon as fortold in the Book of Revelations. Jehovah's Witness doctrine tells them that persons who lose their lives at Armaageddon will suffer eternal death - Jehovah's Witnesses do no believe in hellfire; they teach that death is simply non-existence.
    People who have died BEFORE Armageddon, however, have the hope of a resurrection to a paradise earth, cleansed of evil. This includes virtually ALL of dead mankind, including most criminals. These resurrected dead would come to life during the 1.000 year rule of Jesus Christ over the earth, and at the end of that 1,000 year period they would be subject to a final judgement during which Satan and his demons, imprisoned for a millennium, are released to roam the earth again to mislead who they may. After this final trial, Satan, the demons, and unrighteous men and women are destroyed forever and the survivors live eternally on a paradise Earth, as God originally planned for Adam and Eve.

It may seem at first glance that there is nothing here to cause a man to want to kill his family and himself, but a closer examination reveals an "escape" clause: the innocent victims of a murdered will be resurrected to a paradise Earth having no memory of the time spent "sleeping" in death. Fall asleep in this wicked world, wake up in Paradise, as jesus promised the criminal executed at his side; "...you will be with me in Paradise." Yes, not only the victims of criminals, but quite possibly the perps themselves will be resurrected, though a blanket statement cannot be made.

But if death is simple non-existence, is it impossible to imagine that a loving father might be willing to accept his own eternal non-existence in order to assure that his beloved children and his wife "wake up" in Paradise, relieved of the evil in this world?

I ask the assistance of others on this board to provide references to Watchtower publications stating these doctrines and also for any comments and corrections and/or amplifications that might be necessary.

- Nathan Natas, UADNA
    (Unseen Apostate Directorate of North America)

• NameWithheld
    NameWithheld

I very much agree - to a troubled mind already - the thought of future rewards of paradise could lead a person to want to 'save' his loved ones from the evil world. While I'd suspect he thought he was sacrificing his own 'eternal' life by suicide, he may have felt it was a noble self-sacrifice.

This sort of thing has happened in the past - more often then we realize, and not only w/ JWs. Though their extreme belief structure does seem to lend itself very nicely into this form of extreme breakdown.

Suicide bombers have great faith in future rewards of paradise too. A very clear demonstration of the power of belief. And belief's not always a good thing!

• Pete2
    Pete2

Nathan,

I think your appraisal is right on. Some years ago, I remember a severely depressed JW father who expressed the same tragically twisted logic to me. I would hope you would e-mail your post above to editor Amy Wang at the Oregonian (her direct phone line is 503 294-5974).

Thanks again,
    Pete

• D wiltshire
    D wiltshire

Nat,

You make valuble insight.
    I think a man may think if their family won't make it in the New system if they live any longer than him to keep them on the narrow raod he might kill them before he kills himself!

If someone lived a trillion X longer than you, and had a billion X more reasoning ability would he come to the same conclusions as you?
  • TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

Linking this to religion is way too simple; I won't argue that twisted minds might get some excuse or "reason" for their actions from how they have misunderstood their religion, but you need to separate between how that one person understands his religion and what the religion really says. I could NEVER break the commandment of not murdering, of not taking another person's life. Man, I have cried the few times I have killed birds when driving! Last year, I spent close to one whole day, 5 hours, at home and not going to work, because I had hurt a bird when driving out of the garage, and I cared for it for 5 hours in the garden with sugar-water, honey, carressing, you name it - and finally it flew away - while this stupid guy stood there crying for joy. Love and awe for life. Claiming that killing others is but an inch away is to me - sorry for using the word - blasphemy.

• butalbee
    butalbee

JW Dogma May Promote Murder/Suicides---No, aren't they all happy, go lucky people with no mental discernments except when the next Watchtower comes out????? And they're believe systems strives on to promote mental health.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit