New Scientology Documentary Banned In UK

by defender of truth 5 Replies latest social entertainment

• defender of truth
    defender of truth

Posted in: ReligionPosted: April 19, 2015

New Scientology Documentary Banned In UK For Fears Of Libel Claims

science-e1429471311258

When it comes to the Scientologist movement, many are aware that, due to their money, power, and influence, it may not be the best idea to mess with the group for fear of libel claims and legal action.

A new Scientology documentary, which was due to be aired in Britain by Sky Atlantic, has now been banned for fears it will ruffle the wrong feathers.

The new film, directed by Alex Gibney, which claims that Scientology’s practices at their U.S. headquarters were abusive and violent, is shelved due to the fact that Northern Ireland is not subject to the 2013 Defamation Act.

John Travolta, A Scientologist himself, also slammed the new film, speaking to reporters about it, he said, “I’ve been so happy with my experience in the last 40 years…that I really don’t have anything to say that would shed light on (a documentary) so decidedly negative.”

The leaders of the Scientology Church have also condemned the film about them, saying it is, “‘one-sided, bigoted propaganda built on falsehoods’ and informed by former members –whom it calls ‘misfits.'”

In an official statement, the church noted, “The Church of Scientology will be entitled to seek the protection of both UK and Irish libel laws in the event that any false or defamatory content in this film is broadcast within these jurisdictions.”

Lawyer Paul Tweed, who was involved in previous discussion with UK publisher Transworld, said a statement.

“Any client of mine, whether a journalist or a high-profile personality, is entitled to protect their reputation against false allegations. In terms of Sky’s decision … they have to make absolutely certain that what they are broadcasting is not defamatory or untrue. If they have right on their side, they have nothing to fear.”

Gibney said about the banning of his film, and Scientologists in general.

“Scientologists are entitled to believe what they want to believe. And the IRS [Internal Revenue Service] website makes it clear anyone is entitled to start a religion without seeking IRS permission. To maintain the right to be tax-exempt, however, religions must fulfil certain requirements for charitable organisations. For example, they may not ‘serve the private interests of any individual’ and/or ‘the organisation’s purposes and activities may not be illegal or violate fundamental public policy.'”

www.inquisitr.com/2024839/new-scientology-documentary-banned-in-uk-for-fears-of-libel-claims/

• Mephis
    Mephis
    It's not 'banned', Sky just don't want to be pulled into a legal battle over it and so won't show it. If they find another tv station willing to fight the ensuing libel case with them, the documentary makers will get it shown. Simplest defence of a libel case is 'it's true'.
  • Simon
    Simon

I think criticism of religion should fall outside of normal 'libel' laws. Bad religious movements and ideas should be able to be criticized and shown up for what they are.

Religion has too much money and with it too much power. This is where secular governments should step in and enact laws to protect people from how it behaves, especially when they are aggressive like scientologists.

• Mephis
    Mephis

Would think that any grounds for a libel suit would rest more with specific allegations against individuals (one in particular) in that documentary. There's nothing preventing fair comment or criticism of religions. Even those allegations could be broadcast in the UK if someone was willing to make it stand up as being true in court. Actually a shame no-one is willing to go to bat for it if the evidence is there to support the allegations. Unsuccessful libel cases can be spectacularly damaging (eg Irving vs Lipstadt/Penguin, Aitken vs Guardian/Granada).

• talesin
    talesin

I watched this film last week. It's called "Going Clear", and is an extremely revealing look at Scientology.

Paul Haggis is one of the big stars who participated in the documentary, and he tells it like it is. He talks about the hundreds of thousands of dollars it takes to belong, once you get to a certain level. He and others talk about the mind control, and the shunning that takes place if you leave, among other things.

We get a deep look into this secret world.

Travolta has a stake in this game. One of the things that Scientologists must do is tell ALL their secrets, everything that happens in their life (sound familiar?). People in the film claim that Travolta wanted to leave the Church, but is being blackmailed into staying because they are holding past deeds from his youth over his head.

It traces the beginnings and growth of Scientology and L. Ron Hubbard, and so obvious that it's all about the money. Cha-CHING!

It's an interesting and revealing look into the scary cult we know as Scientology, and I can understand why they do not want the world to see it.

t xx

• pepperheart
    pepperheart
    if you need to show any friends any good tv programes about sciencetology in the past 30 years the bbc,itv AND c4 have all done programes telling people how bad sciencetology is

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit