Questions for those that believe in Electricity

by OnTheWayOut 52 Replies latest jw friends

• done4good
    done4good

To believe is to accept something as true, with the inference that it is not empirically or even anecdotally provable.

Accepting the theory of electricity requires no belief because it can be tested for and observed. It can be accepted as factual with empirical evidence of its existence.

Evolution can be tested for, and observed, albeit not as obviously to the average person. This also with empirical evidence of its reality.

So, neither requires belief.

Precisely why no one would ever ask the question concerning electricity, right?

Why refer to such lines of questioning such as "for those that believe in evolution" then?

d4g

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

done4 (and others), if I am reading this right, I could just look around at the world we live in and recognize that despite the Bible not mentioning electricity, it is there. I could see that predictions can be tested and results could demonstrate that the theory is sound. I know many say that my problem is not understanding what the scientific definition of "theory" really means.

And if I further read this the way you all are saying, I could apply this to other things, like evolution.

Are some of you suggesting that just because I don't understand all the science, it doesn't mean that it isn't true?

• done4good
    done4good

Are some of you suggesting that just because I don't understand all the science, it doesn't mean that it isn't true?

It is about understanding scientific method, (or at least what it is). If that can be understood, it will provide a basis for understanding the reasoning of why something is considered fact. And yes, in science a theory is also factual. (Not absolute truth...It is a big no-no to even say the word "truth" in scientific circles).

d4g

• JeffT
    JeffT
    The fun thing about science is that some new theory could come along tomorrow that would completely replace our current theories of electricity. It would have to explain everything that our theory of electricity explains, and probably something else that we currently don't understand. Such a thing would revolutionize how we look at the world around us, but it isn't out of the realm of possibility. As late as the 1930's physicists (Millikan, Einstein, Ernest Rutherford) we're saying atomic power was not possible. Fifteen years later we dropped the first A-bombs.
  • Phizzy
    Phizzy

That is the beauty of Science a Jeff ?

It doesn't have to be "right" about everything, and it adapts beautifully to new knowledge. It also does not pretend to know everything, or, in my view, very much at all actually.

It is a case of the more we know the more we realise that we do not know.

But, the Scientific Method is still the best method of understanding the world around us, and the wider Universe.

I love the fact too that OTWO's posts can be taken at face value, not just laughed off, or at, on this Forum, and discussed.

We could discuss nothing as JW's.

• TD
    TD

18 hours ago

I understand your point and it's very clever.

I hope you'll forgive me because I just can't resist.

Does electricity flow like water or is it a back-and-forth within a conductor?

No and no.

Tiny particles traveling at about the speed of light through wires

Electricity is the force which displaces electrons - It's not the movement of electrons themselves.

Of course this is all just theory :-)

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    TD, I think that my total ignorance was part of the point. Thanks.
  • sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

I haven't even figured out radio waves and now I gotta figure out electricity as well😦.

What do I have to wrap my brain around next mobile phones? Ugh this science never ends, Sir can I be excused?

Sorry OTWO, I see what your getting at, you always make some good points.

• berrygerry
    berrygerry

You know, such things are not mentioned in my holy book.

“This speech is shocking; who can listen to it?"

• done4good
    done4good

I haven't even figured out radio waves and now I gotta figure out electricity as well😦.

Actually Sparrow, radio waves are electricity...

d4g

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit