The Divine Name in the NT: Some Reflections

by Let go of fear 54 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Let go of fear
    Let go of fear

@Crazyguy: Do me a favor. Bring up the Marduk/Jesus analogy next time JW's come to your door or you attend a WT Bible study. Then describe to me in detail the look on their faces ; )

@ALL: Ok, I just had an "epiphany" about this whole YHWH in the NT thing. Actually, its more of a major DUH moment. Here's what I am now thinking: My understanding is that the WT believes the NT writers continued the Jewish practice of leaving YHWH in Hebrew characters when quoting the OT. So in addition to not being translated, God's name was also not to be pronounced when read. With that in mind then, why does it make such a difference to JW's whether or not the name in the NT was originally written YHWH or simply Kyrios??? Get what I'm saying? If the NT writers retained YHWH in Hebrew characters, it would be pronounced when read as Kyrios. If they indeed did use Kyrios in the originals, again, it would be pronounced (you guessed it!) as Kyrios. So given that there was apparently no Greek equivalent at the time, these are the choices the writers had. It would seem to me the more likely choice would be to simply use "kyrios" for God's name, considering that many who would become Christians did not have any understanding of Hebrew language, culture, customs, etc. God, why did it take me this long to come to this conclusion!!!??? Someone, please ask a JW about this, if I don't get a chance first!

• jhine
    jhine

Lgof , ok-.whoever gets to ask first please come back with the answer .

Phizzy , yes .

Faye , do you have anything to add ?

Thanks everyone for an interesting and good humoured discussion . (which of course may not be finished yet ) .

Jan

• FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway

Check out this link: Misleading Revisions in the NWT by Andy Bjorklund

http://caic.org.au/jws/theology/misleadi.htm

i have studied all of these NT scriptures using the Kingdom Interlinear. It's obvious the witnesses had a very defined agenda when they 'translated' for their Bible.

I need to find a list of all uses of Jehovah in the NWT NT, and for that matter I need to find my old copy of the NWT! Also I never got one of the new 'silver swords.'

• TTWSYF
    TTWSYF

FayeDunaway2 hours ago

Check out this link: Misleading Revisions in the NWT by Andy Bjorklund

http://caic.org.au/jws/theology/misleadi.htm

i have studied all of these NT scriptures using the Kingdom Interlinear. It's obvious the witnesses had a very defined agenda when they 'translated' for their Bible.

HA HA HA... Ya think?!?

Someone once posted that it [the NWT] should NEVER be called a translation, because it is only a version. Not a translation. SO many examples to give, please let me give just this HEBREWS 1 :8

8 4314 [e]
    8 pros
    8 πρὸς
    8 unto
    8 Prep
    1161 [e]
    de
    δὲ
    however
    Conj
    3588 [e]
    ton