R&F Jehovah's Witnesses are utterly clueless

by sabastious 5 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• sabastious
    sabastious

Is there any hope for Jehovah's Witnesses? Last night I was sitting in a hot tub at a gathering I was at when my mother in law came into the spa. She started talking about my 2 and a half year old son's future associations. All I could think about was that I wanted to run, but was forced to sit there and take association advice for my son from a JW. She told me that families are untrustworthy today and that she believed that kids no longer should ever be allowed to spend the night at other kid's houses.

She then proceeded to give me an example of a past bullet she dodged with her daughter (my wife) when she was about 8 years old. A worldly friend at school was having a get together and my wife was invited. My MiL told me that she considered allowing her to go because other Witness kids were invited too, but she decided to disallow it. She said that the next day she heard from the Witnesss kids that went that they had been subject to a scary movie. My MiL said that she was so relieved that she didn't allow her daughter to go to this party because she would have seen the movie. I asked which movie it was and she said that she didn't remember, only that it was very bad and scary. She thought the story would have some sort of affect on me and it might make me think twice before allowing my son to go over to worldly people's houses in the future.

I really didn't know what to say other then, "Yes, maam." Then she warned me that if you let your kids sleep overnight at worldly people's houses you have to seriously worry about pedophiles. So, this woman freely chose to raise her daughter in a JW environment her whole life, but didn't allow her to go to Non JW kid's houses because of "pedophiles" I stood in utter disbelief of the disconnect from reality this woman had. It was truly astonishing and I felt very sad.

The good news is that my wife has reconnected with that childhood friend and has been having drinks with her when she has the time. They were very good friends despite the parental resistance. Her friend recently ended a very long relationship and my wife is being a listening ear and a good friend. I told my MiL that and she seemed a little uncomfortable with the idea. Rank and File Jehovah's Witnesses are uttery clueless and I feel for them, but I don't really see a solution that's readily available.

Here is a good video on the subject:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2A3aOAYSjI

-Sab

• james_woods
    james_woods

Sab, since she has reconnected with that friend, maybe she kind find out what that movie was.

Probably something as totally demonic as "BeetleJuice", or the horrible "Scary Movie Part 2".

• perfect1
    perfect1

Same ol same ol.

I get it that you feel like you have to take this womans words and sit there and listen. But.

After years of experience I have found one effective strategy is to turn all that around and make the person vaguely uncomfortable by not confirming their experience. This can get you in trouble so its a fine line, but its better than sitting their with a plastic smile and auto nod. And it can be fun!

ex: Pedophiles- wow i never thought of that- I wonder what percentage of worldly people are pedophiles. I wonder what percentage of JWs are pedophiles. I need to look into that- thanks for making me think twice! I will do some research and get back to you.

• perfect1
    perfect1

Here is another one:

Yes movies are powerful, not only for children but also for adults! Is there a movie that had a bad influence on you.

This is where she confesses about ghost busters or something.

The good thing is she implicates herself in wrongdoing and you remain squeaky clean, giving you the upper hand, but all according to their way of thinking.

If you can keep a straight face this gives you something to chuckle about later.

• straightshooter
    straightshooter

In most witness minds, pedophiles only exist in the world. When I brought up the subject that pedophiles exist in the WTS, they look at me with the deer in the headlights look disbelief. They are definitely clueless.

• sabastious
    sabastious

Here is the third part of the video series in the OP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuv7F2Xz6-k

It's very hard hitting and uses some good clips from Watchtower video media. It perfectly explains the fear that my MiL has for worldly people. She is watching her grandson growing and she's catastrophizing to the point where she had to try to change it by speaking with me. It's very surreal watching it take place and my heart hurts deeply. The situation is one of dire concern.

-Sab

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit