Strange Yahoo! Mail Episode

by Quendi 8 Replies latest social current

• Quendi
    Quendi

Maybe somebody can explain what has happened to my Yahoo! account because I don’t know what’s going on.

Some months ago, Russian hackers “hijacked” my Yahoo! mail account and used it to send spam to I don’t know how many other people. When I was alerted, I tried to lock them out but was unsuccessful. The result was that I had to close my old account and start a new one. I lost all my bookmarks and tons of other information, but at least I had secured things, or so I thought.

This morning, I start up the computer and discover that I can’t access my Yahoo! mail and that my password isn’t being accepted. So I go through the steps to regain access only to get another surprise. I answered the “secret questions” Yahoo! had set up for me, and regained account access. Here was where the big surprise came: the account that I accessed was the old one I had closed back in April! All my old settings reappeared as did my lost bookmarks. I had more than 1800 unread messages as well in addition to the most recent ones that had arrived in the last day or so. To say I was bewildered is putting it mildly.

I spent the morning deleting the unread messages except for the most recent ones. A new and much better password is now in place and I’m back in business. But I don’t understand what, how and why this has happened. And how do I make the old/new account secure from hackers? I hope the new password is sophisticated enough, but I don’t know what else to do. What is going on with Yahoo!? Maybe they sent out some notice of this action that I overlooked. That is entirely possible, but if they didn’t then who did and what should I do about account security? I’d appreciate any suggestions, counsel and/or recommendations.

Quendi

• Quendi
    Quendi

Here’s an addendum to the earlier e-mail. I’ve checked back in Yahoo! mail and the settings of previous day have now been restored as if nothing had happened! The only thing about that is I no longer have the old bookmarks back which I was going to save to another file. Ah well! Yahoo! giveth, and Yahoo! taketh away.

Quendi

• compound complex
    compound complex

Sorry, Quendi!

I have no answer other than this has happened to several of my friends. "They" wrote me that they were stuck overseas and needed my help and financial assistance!

Hope you get it sorted out asap. If the big companies get infiltrated, where does that put the little guy?

Peace,

CoCo des Doutes

• oldlightnewshite
    oldlightnewshite

If you only use your home PC to connect to the net, sounds like your PC might be compromised. I always back up my passwords and stuff onto a flash disc, and access it from a non-web enabled netbook.

Antivirus really is worth the money. I pay about £30 a year.

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

When my Yahoo account started sending out those bogus emails from my contact list on just about a daily basis, I was told to move the email address to the "Notes" field since I guess they scan thru the accounts looking at the "emal" field. Friend who was getting them at the time told me he didn't receive anymore after I did that.

• iclone
    iclone

Solution: Switch to GMAIL!

• Quendi
    Quendi

Thanks (I think) for the input. I have held a GMail account for some years and it works fine. I believe that I should create a second GMail account for “business” and “official” correspondence because that will make things easier for me to handle in the future as well as prevent unpleasant surprises like today’s.

Quendi

• nuthouse escapee
    nuthouse escapee

Hi Quendi: That is really bizarre. I don't use Yahoo mail so have no experience with them. Your plan to set up another account on Gmail is probably a good idea. I liked the Yahoo giveth & Yahoo taketh away. lol Leslie

• Quendi
    Quendi

The Yahoo! mail saga has taken yet another strange twist. When I logged on this morning, I found all my old bookmarks had been restored! The email from the old account which I had closed had been transferred to the one I opened afterwards; and I found other settings had been modified and restored as well. It seems that I now have the best of both worlds.

Nevertheless, I opened a second GMail account yesterday and will gradually be using both for most of my correspondence. I just feel that would be safer and wiser. GMail also has a way to secure the accounts from hackers. I have done that with the new account and will implement the same arrangement with the first one today.

It has been quite an education for Yours Truly. I’m thankful that no permanent harm or damage was done. When it comes to computers and cybertechnology, I am very much a novice despite being an Internet user for nearly twenty years. This experience has shown me that I can’t remain in the dark any longer. I want to thank everyone for their advice and suggestions. They spurred me on to make these necessary adjustments.

Quendi

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit