Evidence based folks: what is your stance on GMO's and why?

by cappytan 48 Replies latest jw friends

• cognisonance
    cognisonance
    And there is a consensus as to the safety of GMO food. To suggest otherwise is to search for the very few antagonists who 'feel' differently. From Scientific American: "The American Association for the Advancement of Science, the World Health Organization and the exceptionally vigilant European Union agree that GMOs are just as safe as other foods

Did you even read the link I posted about the 2015 article, No scientific consensus on GMO safety?

In there it says:

"The joint statement developed and signed by over 300 independent researchers, and reproduced and published below, does not assert that GMOs are unsafe or safe. Rather, the statement concludes that the scarcity and contradictory nature of the scientific evidence published to date prevents conclusive claims of safety, or of lack of safety, of GMOs. Claims of consensus on the safety of GMOs are not supported by an objective analysis of the refereed literature."

And

"A frequently cited claim published on an Internet web-site that several hundred studies ‘document the general safety and nutritional wholesomeness of GM foods and feeds ’ [26] is misleading. Examination of the studies listed reveals that many do not provide evidence of GM food safety and, in fact, some provide evidence of a lack of safety. For example:

Many of the studies are not toxicological animal feeding studies of the type that can provide useful information about health effects of GM food consumption. The list includes animal production studies that examine parameters of interest to the food and agriculture industry, such as milk yield and weight gain [27, 28]; studies on environmental effects of GM crops; and analytical studies of the composition or genetic makeup of the crop.

Among the animal feeding studies and reviews of such studies in the list, a substantial number found toxic effects and signs of toxicity in GM-fed animals compared with controls [29-34]. Concerns raised by these studies have not been satisfactorily addressed and the claim that the body of research shows a consensus over the safety of GM crops and foods is false and irresponsible.

Many of the studies were conducted over short periods compared with the animal’s total lifespan and cannot detect long-term health effects [35,36]."

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy
    Years ago you never heard of anyone having a severe reaction to peanuts. But now many children have this affliction, and I'm sure there was a study done at some time stating these cases were all bunk. I also have a cousin that almost died because thedoctor's r didn't know what was wrong and said it was all just in her head. Finally another doctor heard about a weird disease and saved here life.
  • cappytan
    cappytan
    Years ago you never heard of anyone having a severe reaction to peanuts. But now many children have this affliction, and I'm sure there was a study done at some time stating these cases were all bunk.

Peanuts have nothing to do with GMO. There are currently no GMO peanuts on the market for public consumption.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy
    Update my statement earlier my friends not deathly allergic to gmoS but gluten but being allergic to gluten is in direct relation to the changes in GMO foods.
  • DJS
    DJS

CrazyGuy,

Once again you make definitive statements, now assertions, based solely on anecdotal experiences and emotions. Lots of people thought tobacco wasn't dangerous too, but research proved otherwise. Science has proven that tobacco use is dangerous.

GMO foods have been analyzed and researched at an extremely high level by independent scientists in a meticulous manner, and there are no known problems with them after nearly 2 decades. There are no Killer Tomatoes (yet); there are no known allergies to GMO food. The resistance to GMO, if it were rational, would be understandable, but it has taken on a Jenny McCarthy existence.

Dear god CrazyGuy,Do you ever research anything:

"Jeffrey Smith’sclaim of rampant GMO/gluten allergies rebuked by Celiac Disease Foundation (Mywords - the Celiac Disease Foundation is the foundation that monitors allthings related to gluten allergies, so they kinda sorta know what they aretalking about).

The Celiac DiseaseFoundation has challenged a recent reportfrom the Institute for Responsible Technology—an organization founded byanti-GMO crusader and former yoga instructor Jeffrey Smith—that claimedthat the rise of gluten allergies and sensitivities can be tied to theconsumption of genetically modified foods.

“There has been noscientific evidence put forward for a GMO/celiac disease link that is supportedby the CFD Medical Advisory Board,” says Marilyn Geller, CDF’s CEO. There is noGM wheat on the market, so any gluten that is consumed comes fromconventionally bred wheat.

Plant geneticist Dr. WayneParrot, professor of crop science at the University of Georgia, says thatSmith’s claims are based on a “handful of deeply flawed” studies and makes noreference to the 2000 plusstudies from international, independent scientists that found that GMOs do notcause any adverse health effects."

• cappytan
    cappytan
    But there is a broad consensus from the best science in the world that GMOs are safe.

Well, I would reword that sentence and say there is "broad consensus from the best science in the world that there is no evidence to support the assertion that GMO's are harmful."

-----

Crazyguy: You stated that "being allergic to gluten is in direct relation to the changes in GMO foods." I will go out on a limb and say that that is absolutely NOT the case. Gluten is a protein found in wheat. Although there have been experiments in genetically modifying wheat in the laboratory, there are no commercially available genetically modified wheat.

So, in conclusion, a gluten allergy in no way can relate to GMOs as there are no commercially available GMO grains that contain gluten.

EDIT: See DJS information above also about gluten allergy being falsely linked to GMOs.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy
    Well maybe I'm wrong and am willing to admit it maybe gluten issues or not related to gmoS. But I do not believe studies out right do to the fact they can and are manipulated. It's just like Monsanto stating that thier pesticides using tobacco leaves does not effect bees.
  • cofty
    cofty

Interesting article in the NYT today...

"I decided I could no longer continue taking a pro-science position on global warming and an anti-science position on G.M.O.s."

• Simon
    Simon
    I think the fact that the GMO companies are so militant in preventing studies and preventing labeling is reason enough to mistrust them. They seem very like the tobacco lobby. Yeah, we know how truthful those guys were.
  • BU2B
    BU2B

There is evidence that GMOs are dangerous. Most of the EU and Russia has banned their importation and cultivation.

http://www.naturalnews.com/037249_gmo_study_cancer_tumors_organ_damage.html

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit