Be advised my ibuds...if ya haven't been already

by joel 6 Replies latest jw friends

• joel
    joel

I got this info from a friend..thought I'd pass it on...just in case

---Be advised a "new" telephone scam has been taking place. The way the scam works is outlined below. Pass this information on to everyone you know.

I received a telephone call last evening from an individual identifying himself as an AT&T Service technician who was conducting a test on telephone lines. He stated that to complete the test I should touch nine(9), zero(0), the pound sign (#), and then hang up.

Luckily, I was suspicious and refused. Upon
    contacting the telephone company, I was informed that by pushing 90#, you give the requesting individual full access to your telephone line, which enables them to place long distance calls billed to your home phone number. I was further informed that this scam has been originated from many local jails/prisons.

I have also verified this information with UCB Telecom,Pacific Bell, MCI,Bell Atlantic and GTE. Please beware DO NOT press 90# for ANYONE

Pax ibuds,
    joel

• notperfectyet
    notperfectyet

Thanks tdg,
    I recieved this one too, I haven't been able to verify if yet, but maybe some of the men can help.

There is another awful scam going on out there. You should send this to any women you know and care about. I don't normally forward warnings about scams, but this one looks important.

If a man comes to your door and says he is conducting a survey and asks you to show him your boobs, DO NOT SHOW HIM.

This is a scam.

He is only trying to see your boobs.

• LDH
    LDH

Hey, this is an urban legend. Only works at large companies where you have to dial a 9 + 0 to dial out.

Also, doesn't originate from prisons. Prisoners are required by law to call collect, the operator identifies the caller as being from a prison.

Just a UL.

• joel
    joel

LDH,

OK...but..I know the lady this happened to...she's not makin' it up...so what's it then...a prank!?

Pax,
    joel

• LDH
    LDH

Joel, I'm thinking she may just be confused. No one can call your home number, and then place a call through your home line unless they dial from your home line.

This was a real scam in the early 90's, mostly affected large corporations where you could ask the receptionist to transfer you to 'extension 90'. But this hasn't, to my knowledge. happened in a LOOONNNNGGG time to an individual.

If you don't believe me, have a friend try it with your phone.

The other thing is, I 'don't know' this lady, but I have received this exact same email, all with the exact same verbage, at least 30 times, over the past 3 years.

It's just making the rounds, kind of like FrankenChicken, and all the other ULs. Starts out with a smidgen of truth and then before you know it.....

But it was kind of you to post it. I was just lettin' ya know.

• joel
    joel

Thanx LDH

So...it's not goin' to happen to anyone...eh! Good

Puzzled by the e-mail then...but no harm done!

Pax,
    joel

• TR
    TR

Hey NPY,

Looks like I've been found out!

TR

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit