Organized Religion

by picosito 5 Replies latest jw friends

• picosito
    picosito

Organized Religion is Organized simply to keep its Organization together, to propagate and finance itself. Look at Jesus' words. He was like the Buddha in simply trying to get people to look at their relationship with God and/or their own spirituality. He was NOT an Organization Man. Nor do any of us need to be. God will judge us individually, if indeed that's what "God" DOES, by how true we were to Truth itself, not to some organization.

Seems this site is helpful to those who are seeking Truth.

• WildTurkey
    WildTurkey

Yes I agree, I think organized comes before personal
    commitment to Christ. Religion can make you proud and self-righteous, but in reality you fail to be kind, honest, humble, loving.

• Francois
    Francois

This is one of the most insightful threads I've ever seen on this site. Thanks for bringing it up.

Once people organize their beliefs, it's not too long before the organization becomes everything - to the exclusion for the truth. The thing that comes to be most important is service to the organization and the organization becomes an intolerant judge of orthodoxy.

Thanks again,
    Francois

NOTE TO GOVERNING BODY: You've been challenged to a debate, boys. Dont you have ANY balls?

• Frenchy
    Frenchy

I agree that this is an interesting topic. I have stated before that I believe that, generally, religions do not begin as such. It is only after a while that the group which seems to be drawn to itself (almost always by some charismatic leader) eventually begins to recognize itself as an organization. That is when the problems really begin to multiply.

RULES! Ah those pesky necessities of all organizations. Rules in themselves are good and make for orderliness without which chaos reigns and nothing gets accomplished. (One of the reasons why I believe there is a conscious, intelligent, rule-making force that is behind our universe.) However, someone has to make the rules and enforce them. Oh, oh! A ruling class. Call it a clergy or a body of elders, it makes no difference for it is, in effect, the same thing. Who will make and enforce the rules? More problems here. Will it be a democratic process or will a despot rule? What about doctrines? Who will decide on that? Will it be left to each individual member to believe what he wishes? What will be the bond that will hold the group then?

On the other hand, while Jesus did not form an organization while he was on earth, he did direct people to the temple on many occasions. He believed that the Jews were God’s chosen people as opposed to other faiths. (John 4:22; Matt 15:26) He used the temple to declare his message. And, if you believe in the resurrection and the Bible, you will note that he used Paul in a powerful way to establish congregations throughout the area. He gave the command to make disciples. (Matt 28:19) In John’s Revelation he makes specific comments about the seven congregations. It is argued that he pointed toward the Jewish system of things until Christianity (arguably a sect of Judaism) was established.

Individuals worshipping on their own could not have produced the Bible, could not have spread the message. For that to happen, organizations were needed. It is difficult for one who is isolated to maintain his faith. Fellowship goes a long way toward encouragement and support. At the same time a price is to be paid in belonging to a group.

Perhaps this is just one of the paradoxes of our material world with which we must become familiar in our conditioning process. Will we ever work it out, learn to organize and make sensible rules while still being constructive? Will we ever learn how to serve the group without sacrificing the individual? Will we ever learn how to wield power so that no one is hurt while everyone is protected? Will we ever learn how to stand up for what’s right without stepping on someone else in the process? Are there really such things as ‘good’ and ‘bad’? Who makes the decision on that matter? Will we learn the difference between tolerance and indifference?

I agree with Francois that the organization becomes primarily concerned with it’s own existence to the exclusion of its individual members. How can that be prevented? What would be the ideal situation?

• Perry
    Perry

If Adam and Eve had never sinned, would the concept of religion have ever even emerged?

If the answer is no, might Babylon the Great represent all religions that function in lieu of utopia?

• Frenchy
    Frenchy

I think that it was unavoidable that sin enter into the picture inasmuch as Scripture tells us that it serves a useful purpose. Remember that even the Son had to learn obedience. What about the rest of us? Didn't we need to learn it as well?

I think that one of the purposes of the great diversity of religions serves to demonstrate just how impossible it is for humans to achieve a relationship with God without his direction on how to do so. It also points out the great number of possibilities and serves also to demonstrate that there is yet to be a system without problems and paradoxes with which to contend.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit