A new hope in the fight against superbugs

by oldlightnewshite 8 Replies latest watchtower medical

• oldlightnewshite
    oldlightnewshite

Just managed to download this week's episode of BBC's Horizon science programme (which is always bloody brilliant, you can catch it on the BBC site, on iplayer, or on torrents), which was about the fight against bacterial staff infections in hospitals. It's a thing I've been worried about for a long time, as I've been aware that doctors recently are lamenting that antibiotics are becoming less effective, and they can't create new ones quick enough. Stories were going around that in the very near future we won't have any antibiotics left in the fight against bacteria.

One way they've discovered is to use a particular virus which wipes out bacteria by invading it, and replicating itself inside the cell until it dies.

Also, It turns out that scientists in a lab in noo Joisey have discovered that bacteria communicate among one another using chemical signals. Once they multiply to a critical mass, that's when they attack, after releasing the signal. After finding this, they have found a way to use an inhibitor, which doesn't kill the bacteria, but rather jams it's way of signalling to the other bacteria, thus stopping a full-blown bacterial infection. They think this knowledge will help them in the mean time to be able to eradicate the bacteria using other methods.

Currently, the only more effective antibiotics that work against the superbugs from the subcontinent are older ones which are highly toxic.

Zombie apocalypse postponed for the next 10 years at least.

• rip van winkle
    rip van winkle

That's very interesting. So, basically bacteria send eachother chemical signals and end up with a mob mentality!

• NOLAW
    NOLAW
    One way they've discovered is to use a particular virus which wipes out bacteria by invading it, and replicating itself inside the cell until it dies.

And how long will it take for that virus to mutate and invade usefull bacteria thus destroying all life on Earth?

• oldlightnewshite
    oldlightnewshite

NOLAW, I thought that, but apparently it happens naturally in nature all the time. I think they're just doing specific tinkering with it to target specific bacteria.

The program was scary. Apparently, In India, poor people will buy 1 antibiotic tablet for crazy stuff like a headache, or something. Hence, the emergence of the Super-Bugs. Something needs to be tested and put out there quick, time is running out.

• NOLAW
    NOLAW

Yes it happens in Nature but I am not afraid about Nature but about Human Gen. Engineering on above mentioned viruses. Pharm. Companies are about money.

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety

I haven't watched the story but that sounds like bacteriophage therapy. It's been looked at for a long long time, particularly in the former Soviet Union. A couple of orgs are looking at it in up in Quebec or thereabouts. I don't think it will work, because the bacteria evolve resistance too quickly. There is a new tech that shows promise by replicating endogenous immune responses using defensin mimicking molecules. I think it could eventually replace antibiotics, but we'll have to wait and see.

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

Best defence is still hand washing !

• designs
    designs

7 died recently at a Maryland Hospital from some 'superbug'. Scary stuff.

• poppers
    poppers

So, basically bacteria send eachother chemical (electrical) signals and end up with a mob mentality!

Sounds just like the middle east, the bacterial infection on the butt of the world.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit