Who is Jehovah

by Jaime l de Aragon 37 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• villagegirl
    villagegirl

JHWH is explained in the book of Exodus as "I am Who I am"

and it is clearly derived from the old Hebrew verb

HWH which means "to be."

The term "Jehovah" was introduced by Christian scholars.

It is merely JHWH pronounced with the vowel of Adonai,

thus making JeHoWaH. It is a hybrid and is not usually

used by Jews. Over the course of time, even the title Adonai

was regarded as too awesome to represent the four letters of God's name

and today most Orthodox Jews use [the term] HaShem,

which simply means "the Name."

God is spoken of as JHWH (pronounced Adonai)

Eloheynu, which means "the Lord our God."

It is notable that even today many Hebrew personal names

incorporate the names of God. Daniel, Michael, Elisha,

Israel, and Ezekiel are all built round El.

Elijah uses both El and JHWH while Adonijah grows

from JHWH and Adonai. The same is true of many modern

Israeli surnames, as in that of [former]

Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu, which is clearly derived

from the proper name of God. Some Christian scholars

render the four-letter Name as "Jehovah", but this pronunciation

is particularly unlikely.

The word "Jehovah" comes from practice of writing YHVH in the Hebrew Bible

with the vowels of the Name "Adonai" (the usual substitute for YHVH)

on the consonants of YHVH to remind people not to pronounce YHVH as written.

A sixteenth century German Christian scribe, while transliterating

the Bible into Latin for the Pope, wrote the Name

out as it appeared in his texts, with the consonants of YHVH

and the vowels of Adonai, and came up with the word JeHoVaH,

and the name stuck.

(This is the SANE explanation.)

• *lost*
    *lost*

but jeffro you are the one who is squabbling, pushing your point, your not wrong.

it's not about who is right or wrong. its about understanding, people who don't have the knowledge and are hiding, and never had an education, or never discussed mythogy or paganism have no understanding,

i wathched that documentary, i can remeber it well, it was brilliant, what put me off was, she didnt focus on the paganism, the society and religion of that day. To me she came across as just wanting to bash christianity and 'prove' against God/Jesus/Bible.

beleivers who are in the zone, the fog, just switch of, tune out.

people are so different it will take a variety of ways to reach them, what works for one wont necessarily work for the other. those that don't believe will/can just leave. those that do believe, will cling on to that security, their faith and belief in God and get burned in the building.

I came across this post before, but it never registered, I never made the connection. Now, after I have spent hours trying to answers my questions, I developed and followed my own system that worked for me and revealed it all. It was a process. A thinking process.

non-believers don't like being preached to, dont listen, switch of, Yes?

now flip that

believers dont like non-believers banging on about faith, believers switch off.

Jeez we see enough of that here to realise it doesn't work.

think of two magnets, you try to force the poles together, but they wont meet, you flip them and bingo, it works.

• Jen2013
    Jen2013

Has this anything to do with the Awake! magazine of July 2010? In that magazine the sign of the tetragrammaton above the article "God’s Name Being Made Known!"was replaced by another sign, which can be easily confused with "666". Again, the guys of the Watchtower Company love their own fantasy. They should be known as "the new Lightbringer" because they love to bring new light.

• *lost*
    *lost*

village girl where is your source from.

or are you jsut pushing your own beliefs and ignoring hard historical factual evidence ???

we are not here to push that everyone should believe because I said so argument.

we are proving, thatGod the Father of Abraham, Isaac, Jacob and Moses. is NOT called jehovah.

i suggest you put some effort in and research it.

jehovah is a pagan god. not the Christian god, It is a lie and a deception.

if one is a believer it goes this way

satan the devil being the crafty thing that he is, has corrupted the minds of believer by tricking them into believing a lie.

its a dsiplacement mechanism with 1 target: the replacement of the name Jesus, everyone trusts in jesus.

so satan tricks people to worship him and not God, by eradicating Jesus, people cannot follow Jesus or call on the name of Jesus.

so while the jws are worshiping this religion, the organsation which satan has made, a temple of false worship. all the people go and worship who ? jehovah. jehovah is not God. It is a false religiong, just like Catholicism, just like all false religions, that is what religion is, man made worship of something which they think is God, but is actually satan in disguise. and satan gets to suck up all that worship. he has got what he wanted. wt is no different from Catholicism. both fake.

• *lost*
    *lost*

Jen its so obvious now why they are anti education, especially now in this modern world with techonolgy and sciene and information sharing and books.

if you keep someone uneducated, its easy to control them.

so like drones, he has them on the wheel slaving for him 24/7 sacrificing their lives to worship .... the devil.

• Vidqun
    Vidqun

I with Villagegirl on this. Too much conspiracy theories cause bad indigestion.

• *lost*
    *lost*

vid - there is no conspiracy theory. but there is facts and hard evidence that cannot be be argued against. where is your source to back up you opinion.

is it just what you learned s jw from wt land ???

I'm a beliver, why would I put so much work into this, getting to the bottom of it to find the truth if I thought it was bs ?

there are so many different threads and strands to this. we are talking thousands of years.

wt material is like, hypnotic, thats why jws are kept on the wheel all the time, to control them, they cant think anything more than wt.

its a system of control. the easiet way to control people is ignorance. look at north korea for example.

before you discount it go back to the beginning and go throu everything and think about it.

like I said, it doesnt mean not believing, I believe. which is why it was so hard for me to leave jws. cos your leaving god, so you think.

then you do the research and find the knowledge that has been hidden, and you see the trickery, how satan has successfully usurped Jesus.

who are they all worshiping. jehova. jehova is the name of a pagan god diety. its just a case of aligning this info with the story/info of the Bible.

If wt was the truth, we would still be there, wouldn't we. we are not because it is not. and we know it.

• Jen2013
    Jen2013

But the guys of the Watchtower Company indoctrinated you, the Witnesses, with their own self-invented conspiracy theory. And you, the Witnesses, play their game. You keep this Watchtower conspiracy alive and you support it actively. You are successfully indoctrinated by the Watchtower Company just to support their fantasies, which obviously get them a lot of money.

Go and look this conspiracy up. It is in The Watchtower, September 1, 1987, page 20: "The United Nations is actually a worldly confederacy against Jehovah God and his dedicated Witnesses on earth. It is really a conspiracy, with the worldly nations getting their heads together and scheming up what they may do against the visible organization of Jehovah God on earth...".

This conspiracy is all over their literature. It just a game. It's the game they play with you. They tricked you into believing this conspiracy by using mind control and they make a lot of money out of it.

• Vidqun
    Vidqun

*lost*, here's a few extrabiblical uses of the Tetragrammaton. There's many more.

Extrabiblical use of the Tetragrammaton

1) The Tetragrammaton repeatedly appears on the Stele of Mesha`, king of Moab (ca. 900 BCE). This stele contains a text with the oldest Hebrew-Phoenician script ever discovered. This stele is of the utmost importance for linguists because it is the only remaining, historical monument of the Moabite kingdom. It contains an account of the historical relationship between Moab and Israel.... It reveals Moabite as a Semitic dialect, virtually identical with Hebrew, serving as proof of an advanced written language of an insignificant kingdom far removed from the historical routes of the ninth century BCE (see G.R. Driver, Semitic Writing, 1976, p. 109).

The text reads: “I, Mesha, the son of Chemosh-[....], king of Moab, the Dibonite.... Omri, the king of Israel, humiliated Moab for many days.... And I took the utensils of YHWH and dragged them before Chemosh.” (...w'qhh msm '[t k]ly yhwh w'shhb hm lpny kms). Cf. Is. 52:11. It is probably the earliest occurrence of the Tetragrammaton outside the Bible.

2) In the Semitic Museum of Harvard there is an eighth century seal with the inscription lmqnyw `bd.yhwh, “belonging to Miqnejaw, the servant of yhwh”. The name seems to be Levitical (cf. 1 Chron. 15:18, 21); the owner of the seal might have been a priest, serving in the sanctuary.

3) A funerary inscription of Khirbet el-Qôm (ca. 750 BCE), southwest of Lachish, containing the words brk 'wryhw lyhwh “blessed be Urijahu by yhwh.”

4) An inscription in four fragments, found at Kuntillat `Ajrud near the Sinai Peninsula, contains the words hhyb yhwh and the divine name “Ba`al” in Phoenician letters.

5) The Tetragrammaton is freely used in the Lachish Letters (ca. 600 BCE). They consist of 18 ostraca with formulae, containing the Tetragrammaton. The text is written in Old Hebrew characters. One of the ostraca (nr. IV) reads: “May yhwh make my lord hear good news soon (ysm` yhwh 't 'ny s[m]`t slm `t kym `t kym) ....we are on the look-out for fire signals from Lachish....” yr' yhwh 't 'dny 't h`t hzh slm “may yhwh allow my lord to enjoy good health”. The general OT formula hhy yhwh “As yhwh lives!” also appears in these, once with Biblical spelling and once with an eccentric spelling hhyhwh. This form hhyhwh (=hy yhwh) indicates that when two identical letters appear next to each other, they are often written as one (scriptio continua), even when they were part of two separate words, or in case of haplography. The name also occurs in the context ybrk yhwh ’t ’[??] y, an unexplained passage, and possibly also in a badly damaged portion of a text.

6) The Arad archives contains two references to yhwh, the first in an introductory greeting `l 'dny 'lysb yhwh ys'l lslmk (lines 1 - 3), “To my lord Eljashib; may yhwh seek your peace” (lit. “ask after”, probably equivalent to “grant”; cf. 1 Sam.1:28 and a similar formula in Aramaic), the second in lines 7 - 10: wldbr 'sr swtny slm byt yhwh h' ysb, “And as for the matter concerning which you commanded me – it has been settled. In the house of yhwh he remains.”

7) The most difficult of the pre-exilic uses of the Tetragrammaton occurs in some wall inscriptions from Khirbet Beit Lei, a few miles from Lachish. Inscription A, as given by Cross, reads: [']ny yhwh 'lhykh 'rsh `ry yhdh wg'lty yrslm, “I am yhwh, your God, I will accept the cities of Judah and I will redeem Jerusalem”. Cross reads text B as follows: nqh yh 'l hhnn nqh yh yhwh “Absolve [us] O merciful God; forgive [us] yhwh”. Text C reads as follows: hws` yhwh, “Deliver [us] yhwh”.

8) The remaining occurrences are limited to Aramaic texts of Egypt. Two spellings of the divine name occur. yhw (usually in papyri) and yhh (once in a papyrus, otherwise on ostraca). The spelling yh, attested once, is probably the result of the fading of original yhw. Both variations occur in theElephantine Papyri (ca. 500 BCE). These Aramaic documents inform us of “a Jewish military colony” on the island Elephantine on the Nile, opposite Aswan. There existed a temple where the God yhw was worshiped. Two people are mentioned in the text, khny' zy yhw 'lh', “priest of the god yhw”. The term lhhn servant of yhw possibly refers to a religious office.

Thus some 19 occurrences of the Tetragrammaton in the form of yhwh bear witness to the reliability of the MT in this respect; more may be expected, notably from the Arad archives.

9) Variations of the Tetragrammaton occur on coins (especially coins of the Maccabees).

• Jeffro
    Jeffro
    all the people go and worship who ? jehovah. jehovah is not God.

Listen carefully.

Jehovah = God. It's just a name.

Doesn't matter whether you're a believer or not. The only difference is that believers think Jehovah is real.

If I like chocolate icecream, and someone calls 'chocolate' blargle, and then someone else says blargle is 'really' strawberry, it doesn't mean I 'really' like strawberry icecream instead of chocolate.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit