Conversation with my mother-in-law this morning

by StarTrekAngel 11 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• StarTrekAngel
    StarTrekAngel

I am skipping the details on how we got to this point. Conversation was calmed and pleasant and while I know she is not the most educated person (she can hardly read), Its hard to justify it by saying is a matter of ignorance. It is definitely something inside her that triggers on that very moment.

Me: I don't know where all the money is going. We use to pay $2500 for a 3 day assembly. We know pay $12,000 for a single day, meeting in a place of our own.

Her: Yeah, its weird, people don't donate as much anymore

Me: Yes, I know that is probably true. What I am really questioning is not how much people give, but rather how is it possible that is costs so much

Her: It seems like people reason that because the place is ours, we don't have to contribute.

Me: But if they built the place on free labor, and with donated funds, how is it that it costs 3 times as much as before, when we rented places we did not own.

Her: And the funny thing is that we all like to go out and buy new dresses for each assembly, instead of putting the money where it really matters.

Me: No, but that is not what I meant. Remember, we use to rent the school stadium. We have gone as far as renting the astrodome in Houston and it never costed that much. If they can rent the place for that amount, how is it that it costs us more to rent our own place that we built with donated funds

Her: May be is because is a whole 3 days.

Me: No, that is how much is costing for a single day assembly. Is way more than what a 3 day use to cost.

Her: All I know is that I make my contribution. Jehovah knows if the others are contributing or not...

Then I realized I was late for work....

The end.

• DesirousOfChange
  • whathappened
    whathappened
    It sounds like she is ready to drink the Kool Aid. She is unable to see the problems and is blindly following whatever they say.
  • GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

It's like you were having two separate conversations!

Sometimes people with trouble in logical/mathematical thinking truly can't follow a line of thought in an argument. They get stuck on extraneous details.

She just couldn't focus on the per diem cost and then compare it in a rent vs. own scenario.

But, she sure did home in on the Society's message: donate, donate, donate!

• respectful_observer
    respectful_observer

Wait...a J-dub that doesn't have strong critical thinking skills???

Shocked. Absolutely shocked.

• millie210
    millie210

Since I was a J-dub for all my 50 years I hesitate to make fun. I also dont think it has anything to do with reading ability.

To me, it sounds like you were having two conversations!

Yours, reasoning on the matter.

Hers, quoting the party mindset.

I am just one opinion here though but that is what it sounds like to me.

Is she smart in other ways? Does she grasp concepts that are similar but where her mind hasnt had all the blank lines filled in for her by someone she gives all her trust over to?

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Image result for don't confuse me with the facts

...................................Image result for jehovahs witnesses..He Knows Everything..He Said So!..

• scoobydont
    scoobydont

@WHATHAPPENED "It sounds like she is ready to drink the Kool Aid..."

Don't be silly ! This lady is drowning in it !!!!!

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

1) Your picture kicks ass on many levels.

2) Your story is why I don't even try to have conversations with family.

DD

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

A close JW friend, 80, a retired registered nurse (so she is educated and reads well) recently said in a conversation I over heard, that in WT Paradise, there would be NO BOOKS (????? and ?????). Why do you say that, was the question asked? "Because they are all written by worldly people!" Did she hear an ignorant CO say that? Where did THAT come from? lol There is no saying anything to the contrary to her, because she is NOT thinking, straight or otherwise! lol

I was like your MIL. I sat at the meetings, if not day dreaming or trying to figure out the weeks meals and a grocery list, I would let the brainwashing go in one ear, rotate, and then I too would vomit out the WT sanctioned correct comment, when called upon, without giving it any thought. (Obviously. lol)

Don't be too harsh with her. I had doubts for years but I had to wait for the perfect storm to arise before I dared read the forbidden Crisis of Conscience. That book blew off all the closed and locked doors in my mind.

PS Also if your MIL doesn't read Spanish because of knowing other Mexican dialects, (I am saying that because you mentioned Houston) she probably is just a nice Mom trying to do her best for her family that she loves so much. It possibly has not come to her mind that the WT people would blantanly LIE to her. Poor thing. She needs your continud love and support, then when she see's all the WT BS, she will realize what a wonderful son-in-law she has! lol

All the best!

LL

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit