Awake Zombies!

by Alucard 7 Replies latest jw friends

• Alucard
    Alucard

The Walking Dead - and we don't mean the GB - make their first shuffling appearance in WTS literature! As a long time reader of Awake! and an even longer fan of horror movies, I should know. Check out the necrotic ghouls on the inside page of the September 2012 Awake!

OK, sure they clutter up the page with giant killer robots (Transformers? The Day The Earth Stood Still?) as well as what looks like Raelians being beamed up to their mother ships, but that's all phooey. The game changer in WTS artwork is, without a doubt, the three stumbling walking corpses that have become synonymous with apocalyptic blood-letting. The three figures depicted are straight out of post-Romero, flesh-eating, zombie cinematic fare.

So now we know how those art department Bethelites pass their time after a few beers in the evening. Correct me if I'm wrong but the recently re-animated dead have NEVER (OK, apart from bandaged Lazarus) made any appearance in WTS artwork. So I hope this is the first of many appreciative nods in the direction of modern splatter horror in the magazines and we will soon see the likes of Freddie Kruger, Leatherface, Jason Vorhees, Michael Myers and maybe even Jigsaw himself!

• 00DAD
    00DAD

Ok, the article references pop-fiction, even mentioning zombies explicitly:

Consider, for example, recent fiction. Comics, TV, hundreds of movies, and thousands of books weave tales of impending doom. There seems to be no end to the forces ready to pounce upon and lay waste to humanity?—killer robots, monsters of all sorts, aliens, zombies, ghosts, dragons, apes, birds, mutant rats, and giant wasps. Hardly would anyone take such stories seriously! - Awake!, September 2012, pps. 2 - 3, [Emphasis added]

• Emery
    Emery

This is entirely inaccurate....Aliens would never abduct zombies!

• MaybeSo
    MaybeSo

What's with the rats??? ha ha

• 00DAD
    00DAD

One of the funniest camp movies ever:

• Emery
    Emery

I intially thought the man in yellow with the oxygen mask was in relation to Breaking Bad haha.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Hardly would anyone take such stories seriously!

....as compared to what? The story of the ascendancy of the Jehovah's Witnesses?

• Alucard
    Alucard

Shaun of the Dead isn't 'camp'! If you want to see camp see Rocky Horror Show.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit