Is KIT 1 or 2 available in any language other than English?

by moggy lover 7 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• moggy lover
    moggy lover

Does anyone know for a fact whether the WTS released any foreign language editions of either KIT 1 or 2?

Such as French or German or Spanish?

• hijosdelawatch
    hijosdelawatch

Do you mean the Kingdom Interlinear Translation, don't you?

At least in Spanish there's no a translation. Anyway, I think that after all those talks about learning Hebrew or Greek could be an offence against the GB, there will be no new releases.

Maybe they're thinking about a different kind of new material: "simplified" stuff.

• Wonderment
    Wonderment

No, the WTS have not produced any foreign language editions of their KIT translation, nor are they likely to do so. That has never been a priority for them.

Heck, even finding the English edition is a challenge nowadays.

The KIT was published back then, seemingly for two reasons. First, Fred Franz, the supposed translator of the NWT, loved the subject, and was instrumental in having the WTS publish his KIT work. Secondly, during the 1950's and 1960's, the Society was more likely to respond directly to criticism of their translation and its doctrinal stand, than they are now. (Witness the early WT responses to NWT criticism in 1950 WT magazines. More recently they have allowed some knowledgeable Witnesses do the "dirty" work for them...aka, Stafford and Furuli.)

With that in mind, the WTS found fitting to produce the Greek-English Interlinear as a way to show the world, that they had the knowledge and necessary grasp to delve into the Greek Text, as well as anyone out-there. At the same time, for those within the WTS itching to find a substantive reference work based on the original, it was alluring.

A short conversation with the late Albert Shroeder confirmed that the KIT served its purpose, and that producing a counterpart Hebrew-English Interlinear was not as essential (it was not as imperative since the OT did not nearly pose the same doctrinal challenges to justify the total expense).

• J. Hofer
    J. Hofer

there is no kingdom interlinear translation in any other target language than english. all the new world translations in other languages were translated from english, not the source languages.

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

A little searching may show up searchable PDF versions of both version 1 and 2.

Although the KIT certainly has its usefullness, I kinda view it as going to the same doctor for a second opinion. If you just need a good interlinear, you might check here.

• Wonderment
    Wonderment

I have found the Kingdom Interlinear and the one Bobcat recommended above, i.e. the Word Study Greek-English NT Interlinear (Paul R. McReynolds) the two most useful interlinears on the market. The others don't come close to this two.

I personally see an edge in the translated text itself of the KIT, but an edge in total usefulness for the McReynolds Interlinear, mainly because the English words in the Interlinear are coded to Strong numbers and other Bible aids are linked to the Concordance in the second half-portion of the book. The Concordance is very useful to the Bible student. For those comtemplating buying another interlinear, save your money. These two are it.

I don't recommend the Mounce Interlinear because of its awkwardness. The Concordant Greek Text translation is good overall, but not easy to use. Marshall's Translation surprises in some places. The Diaglott is good too, but the readability is poor. The only other Interlinear worth mentioning here, is The Apostolic Bible Polyglot, mainly because other Bible aids are published in line with it (Index and Concordance), and is the only Septuagint Interlinear available. With the Polyglot you get both the NT and OT Greek Text in One Volume...nice!

Comfort's; George Ricker Berry's; Jay P. Green's and Newberry's are of little use if you have the above recommended ones. I find them run-of-the-mill interlinears. They don't stand out in any major way.

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

Wonderment:

Good summation! Now you got me interested in the Polyglot. This appears to be the website for that.

Take Care

• Farkel
    Farkel

Um, Greek?

Farkel

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit