My 401k is up 100% in 20 years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by outsmartthesystem 0 Replies latest jw friends

• outsmartthesystem
    outsmartthesystem

Hey Joker.

Ever heard of the rule of 72? It is a fairly reliable guideline as to how long it will take for an investment to double. If I have $100,000 and I have a steady 8% interest rate.....I divide 72 by 8 and come up with an answer of 9. It will take approximately 9 years for my $100,000 to become $200,000 at a steady 8%. Conversely, you can divide 72 by 9 (the length of time it took my investment to double) and you'll come up with a corresponding interest rate of 8% during that time period.

Now then.......let's apply that to the title of this thread. 72 divided by 20 = 3.6%. NOT an impressive number. That means that in the last 20 years.....I've averaged a 3.6% return on my investments. Although the stock market has not been favorable for the past decade.....3.6% is still PALTRY when compared with the S&P over the last 20 years. What I am saying is that at a glance, the title of my thread may look impressive. I mean.....I've gained 100%! But when looked at in relation to other investments over the same period of time......it is pathetic.

Finally......let's apply this rule to Mexico. 42% in 10 years, right? Just being assumptive......we could expect 84% in 20 years then no? So.....Mexico would finally double the amount of publishers after about 24 years. It will take them 24 years to double! 72 divided by 24 = 3% annually. That.....Mr. Joker is their real growth percentage. How impressive!

Yet another misuse of statistics by a JW. You're reasoning shows your inability to analyze and think critically. You can thank your fearless leaders at the WT Society for that.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit