One Remaining Concern

by writerpen 8 Replies latest jw friends

• writerpen
    writerpen

After being out for seven months now, I have overcome so much fear that was indoctrinated into me while being raised a Witness - the fear of attending another church, Armageddon, not being a witness, celebrating holidays, etc. With help from this board and other outside sources, all these fears have subsided.

However, there is one that remains and is often stirred by a topic that is included in many of the posts on this board. That is the Witness idea of the governments turning on religion. Sam Beli just posted a topic concerning a question that was asked of President Bush in relation to whether he thinks the Catholic Church will get things straight. It makes me nervous when I even see political figures commenting on religion. When I look at the world, I see an irritation stirring in the governments for religion. Look at the mess that religion caused on Sept. 11. I need help in overcoming this final fear that remains in me. I enjoy so much going to my new Episcopal Church, celebrating the holidays, the hope now of getting married someday, etc. But when I see the governments concerned about religion, the fear returns. HELP PLEASE!

• dungbeetle
    dungbeetle

The Watchtower talks about the governments turning on organized religion---with tremendous real estate holding, bank accounts, and psychological enslavements of its memebers. That sort of thing.

However, the Bible says, that the Beast and the Whore and so on and so one would be at war together. So let them. It has nothing to do with us. The bible goes on to say that this a 'holy war' between angels and devils and yadayadayada...so leave it to those beings and just live your life. Small groups of people coming toegther to talk about God and Jesus is what we were TOLD to DO...I'm guessing God has bigger fish to fry!!!!

In 1975 a crack team of publishers was sentenced to death by a judicial commiteee. They promptly escaped from the cult and now live life on the run. If you have a problem ... and if you can find them ... maybe you can contact the A--postate Team"

• metatron
    metatron

Charity is a solid defense.

If a church is feeding the poor, housing the homeless,
    or trying to help addicted people, why should any government
    tax or attack it? In a democracy, it would be especially hard
    to justify such behavior to the public. Further, churches will
    often try to fix societal problems that the government would
    rather not pay for - which is why Bush and others favor the
    'faith based initiative'.

On the other hand, if your religion is secretive, condemns
    everyone in the 'world', hides child molesters, and carefully
    avoids real charity, you might have a problem.

Funny how the Society's prediction of 'governments turning on
    religion' becomes self fufilling in their own case.

metatron

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

First of all, you need to realize that the Bible does not say that government will turn on religion. It says that the beast will turn on the harlot. Anyone's guess as to what is meant is as good as anyone else's.

In fact, the mainstream interpretation of this very enigmatic account is that Babylon the Great refers to the Roman Empire of Bible times. So, don't worry about this little prophesy.

Next, even though there is anger with fundamentalism, religion is very strongly entrenched. After Sept 11, the first thing the President did was sing "God Bless America", and tell everyone to go to church for comfort.

Maybe someday, governments will limit religious activities to a certain extent, but religion is a major human and social institution that will never go away, although it may mutate.

• moman
    moman

Every time a pimp slaps around a hooker that prophecy comes true.

• Perry
    Perry

Another popular view is that the harlot represents the commercial establishment. I really haven't concerned myself with pop interpretations since leaving. I rather tend to just enjoy the sense of community.

I understand totally the lingering grip of fear that certain doctrines still have. You will be fine in time, believe me.

• gravedancer
    gravedancer
    However, there is one that remains and is often stirred by a topic that is included in many of the posts on this board. That is the Witness idea of the governments turning on religion.

It's strange, I have a massive disdain for the religious (not the ordinary believer - but the organizations) - and I often wish that governments would just ban them. I am also not stupid enought to realize that this will only strenghten the resolve of the believers.

Actually though, having people believe stuff like the Bible has actually been something of a huge affirmation to me. I have commented a few times on some of the material I have used to formulate some business success. Knowing that people can so fervently believe something without evidence (even if they choose to call it faith) is truly encouraging to me. I means I can selfishly exploit group perceptions and use marketing techniques to appeal to human nature and predict with reasonable levels the types of behaviour I expect.

That is why I am "The Gravedancer"

• heathen
    heathen

One of the things that I can imagine happening is the us government realizing they have made a national holiday out of christmas when there is not supposed to be a national religion .I have noticed that there are all kinds of other religions trying to receive that kind of national holiday status.Personally I can't stand having christmas shoved down my throat every year and if I am correct the statistics for drunk driving and suicide are much higher during that time of the year.It also seems that we are at war with muslim nations all the time also the problems in Ireland due to some kind of christian jihad. All of these things could effect the religious scene .I believe all religion are cults anyway so am not going to miss it if it happens.

• SYN
    SYN

If you really believe that the Governments of the world are going to exterminate religions, you must be wearing seriously BIG blinkers on your eyes.

Hello?

The idea of all religion being abolished is pathetic and extremely unrealistic. The very people who would be doing this abolishing work are usually more religious than their subjects!

This is another big problem with WTBTS doctrine, in that they don't face the facts, and that is that a very, very large fraction of Earth's people are highly religious, and any government that attempted to change this situation would come to grief. Look what happened to the Russians when they tried to make everyone Athiest.

It didn't work all that well, now did it?

The earlier in the forenoon you take the sun bath, the greater will be the beneficial effect, because you get more of the ultra-violet rays, which are healing. - The Golden Age

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit