Golden Rule: Pure Garbage?

by willmarite 99 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Viviane
    Viviane
    The diamond rule says to treat people based on what they want. Its biggest drawback is it gives no guidance whatsoever on how you are to determine what it is "they" want.

Hmmm... if only there was some way to determine what people want... some magical way to figure it out.

The misuse being ascribed to the golden rule is more often the use of the diamond rule.

You've got it exactly backwards. Example below.

It is the diamond rule that gives zero guidance on how to determine how someone else "wants to be treated".

Diamond Rule: "I'm going for coffee. Anyone else want coffee? If so, how do you take it?"

Golden Rule: "I got black coffee with sugar for all of you because that's how I like it. Oh, you like your coffee with cream and you're diabetic? Too damn bad because Jesus."

With no guidance, one is free to to use whatever approach one wants in determining how other person/people "want to be treated."

Look, just because you can't read the golden rule and pretend it says things it doesn't or can't figure out how people like their coffee doesn't mean the rest of us are so limited.

• alexei954
    alexei954

The golden diamond rule, at best, allows for asking that, but it doesn't say to do that. You are adding on to the golden diamond rule to make it work and no amount of pretending the golden diamond rule says something it doesn't will change that.

Look, just because you can't read the golden diamond rule and pretend it says things it doesn't or can't figure out how people like their coffee to ask yourself "would I like this to be done to me?" doesn't mean the rest of us are so [ad hominem deleted]

• Viviane
    Viviane
    The diamond rule, at best, allows for asking, but it doesn't say to do that

I never said it did anything otherwise.

You are adding on to the diamond rule to make it work and no amount of pretending the diamond rule says something it doesn't will change that.

Of course not. Don't be utter ridiculous as well as dishonest. I never claimed the diamond rule said that. Seriously, I question you ability to read with all of the things you imagine words say that they don't. I indicated asking would be a way to find out and gave you an example. Nothing more, nothing less.

Look, just because you can't read the diamond rule and pretend it says things it doesn't or can't figure out how to ask "would I like this to be done to me?" doesn't mean...

My, you really don't know how to actually parse a sentence and understand what it says, do you? Bless your heart.

I've enrolled you in the school below. I've already paid your tuition.

• stillin
    stillin
    Somebody has a big chip on their shoulder. In the example of the coffe, I would want to be asked how I like my coffee. It's not rocket science. Ask people what they want just as you would want to be asked. C'mon Viv. You can do it!
  • EdenOne
    EdenOne

I'd like my coffee strong with a drop of milk and a sugar cube. Thank you, Viviane.

Eden

• EdenOne
  • alexei954
    alexei954

I don't do ad hominem.

Others:

Enough seriousness.

In his paper "Variations on the Golden Rule" (downloadable here), Frank Harary lists a number of variations of the golden rule found throughout the world. Some cool ones are:

A. From a collection of African proverbs, published in 1962:

"When the bee comes to your house, let her have beer; you may want to visit the bee’s house someday."

B. 'The eminent prophet Rabbi Hillel was once asked to summarize the doctrine of Judaism while standing on one foot. Assuming the suggested position he replied,'

"What is hateful to you, avoid doing to others. The rest is commentary."

C. The shortest English version?:

"Tit for tat."

D. The sociopath's version:

"Do unto others what you would not have others do unto you"

E. The cynic's version:

"Do good unto others and they will do evil unto you."

F. No name/source (Sun-Tzu rule?)

" Do good unto others, and they will side with you against your enemy."

G. No name/source (Saddam Hussein rule?)
    "Do evil unto others, and they will side with your enemy against you."

• Viviane
    Viviane
    Somebody has a big chip on their shoulder. In the example of the coffe, I would want to be asked how I like my coffee. It's not rocket science. Ask people what they want just as you would want to be asked. C'mon Viv. You can do it!

Please do not pretend to falsely know things about me you cannot possibly know. Please do not pretend falsely what you said is the golden rule. It is not. If anything, it most closely aligns to what I said early on. If you're going to support my position, as least realize you're doing it.

It's not rocket science.

• Viviane
    Viviane

Eden, thank you. I knew I could count on you to say something both useless but, and this is key, also letting everyone know just how singed your feelings are from the last time you tried to make stuff up about me.

Kudos, good job, well done, mate.

• Viviane
    Viviane
    In his paper "Variations on the Golden Rule" (downloadable here), Frank Harary lists a number of variations of the golden rule found throughout the world. Some cool ones are:

When the topic is "variations of the golden rule", then that will be relevant.

As it stands, the golden rule is the rule of an uncaring, unthinking person. It's better to simply ask, which, interestingly, the golden rule does not prescribe but is exactly what I suggested in the second sentence of my first post on this topic.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit