Golden Rule: Pure Garbage?

by willmarite 99 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Viviane
    Viviane
    If you got something better than the Golden Rule that can also be stated in few words I want to hear it.

Already did. Read this direction ^^^^^

I am sure I can work out unforeseen circumstances and exceptions to the rule without the extra rules that you suggest.

I didn't suggest them, I was commenting on someone else saying it was required for the golden rule to work.

• Island Man
    Island Man
    "Island Man, "treat others the way they would want to be treated."
    What if they want to be worshipped as gods?"

That's a fair point that applies equally to the golden rule - what if I want to be worshipped as a god? Should I then go around worshipping others? And then that would also mean that God does not follow the golden rule because he wants worship but refuses to worship others.

• Island Man
    Island Man
    "The Diamond Rule also has its own set of shortcomings. For example, what if someone's wish is detrimental to his own well-being? Should we treat that person as he/she wants to be treated despite said treatment poses an unquestionable threat to her well-being? it may be a difficult call sometimes.
    One rule doesn't fit all, I'd say.
    Eden"

I agree. But the same can be said for the golden rule: what if my desire of how to be treated is detrimental to my own well-being? Should I treat others as I want to be treated despite said treatment posing an unquestionable threat to their well-being? The advantage of the Diamond rule over the golden rule, is that of showing personal interest in wishes of others without presuming. But they both have the caveat of harmful wants.

• alexei954
    alexei954

I think the Golden Rule is more of a big-picture starting point for morality and the other rules being discussed are ultimately subsumed within it. It's starting point is a general one of reciprocity in regards to respect and empathy.

Because I would like to be treated as an individual and not as just a member of some group or stereotype, I extend the same to others. (i.e. the Golden Rule)

Because I realize individuals and cultures are different from my own, hence expressions of empathy and respect may be different, I take that into consideration and hope they do the same (i.e. the Golden Rule).

Because mental problems, very young age or mental handicaps exist in all cultures, I would take that into account if I encountered it, and hope others do the same with me. (the Golden Rule).

Because people don't and can't know every person or culture without finding out about them, the Golden Rule is offered as place to start. It has the advantage of being recognized/practiced in some form in most cultures and religions. Once you know a person or people better, you can move into more specifics and treat people in ways they like because that's how you'd like to be treated, as individuals. (the GR again.)

• jhine
    jhine

Alexei I think that you are right . The GR firstly covers all the negative stuff , you don't want someone to steal from you , you don't steal from someone else etc. Then if you think it through a bit if you like to be treated as an individual treat others the same way , not imposing your likes or dislikes on them . You don' t take a friend to your favourite Indian restaurant if they don't like spicy food ! Surely it just means try to act thoughtfully to others .

Jan

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

So, If I want to be tied up and spanked, should I tie up and spank others, or not?

'Cause I'm confused, now.

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus
    No you should find someone who will enjoy tying you up and spanking you
  • Vidiot
    Vidiot

Pretty sure I can find someone who wants to tie me up and beat the shit out of me, at least.

• alexei954
    alexei954

Not to start with, Vidiot. The GR would start with mutual respect,empathy and an and allowance for differences because you'd hope they'd take that into consideration when dealing with you. (the GR).

You can't just skip these general considerations and go leaping straight for the rope! :)

or to quote Monty Python:

"Why not start her off with a nice kiss? You don't have to go leaping straight for the clitoris like a bull at a gate. Give her a kiss, boy."

• Viviane
    Viviane
    Not to start with, Vidiot. The GR would start with mutual respect,empathy and an and allowance for differences because you'd hope they'd take that into consideration when dealing with you. (the GR).
    You can't just skip these general considerations and go leaping straight for the rope!

If you were following the golden rule, those caveats are completely skippable and in the spirit of the golden rule.

It's not very golden when you have to add caveat after caveat to make it functional.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit