Golden Rule: Pure Garbage?

by willmarite 99 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Viviane
    Viviane
    This is actually an excellent point.

Thank you.

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

I guess I never viewed the golden rule as referring to specific behavior.

I just thought it meant treating people with general positives like kindness, compassion, and empathy. It doesn't seem like anyone would not appreciate being treated that way.

Interesting.

• Hold Me-Thrill Me
    Hold Me-Thrill Me
    Loving our neighbor is a good thing.
  • cofty
    cofty

It's an interesting point.

I wonder whether it isn't pushing the intention of the sentiment too far.

We all like to be respected and valued, and for our needs and concerns to be valued by others. It is a good moral precept to do the same for others.

Jesus borrowed it from earlier times and failed to live up to it.

• stillin
    stillin

Some people just have a chip on their shoulder and will jump on anything the Bible says as an opportunity to show how much smarter people are now. Probably has something to do with waking up from being a victim of cult thinking...

we could all consider the wisdom of "choosing our battles."

• Viviane
    Viviane
    Some people just have a chip on their shoulder and will jump on anything the Bible says as an opportunity to show how much smarter people are now. Probably has something to do with waking up from being a victim of cult thinking...

Who do you imagine was trying to show how people are smarter now and who do you think is acting victimized?

• never a jw
    never a jw

It's a presumptive rule. It's quite telling that the golden rule needs a rule to work.

If you got something better than the Golden Rule that can also be stated in few words I want to hear it. I am not interested in reading Ethics volumes every time I consider whether my actions towards fellow humans are good or not. I like universal, pithy guiding principles; the Golden Rule being my favorite.

I am sure I can work out unforeseen circumstances and exceptions to the rule without the extra rules that you suggest.

• SonoftheTrinity
    SonoftheTrinity
    There is also the Silver Rule, don't do to others what you wouldn't want done to you. I have found that is a much easier and effective Rule to follow. It requires less effort and doesn't presuppose what people want.
  • Vidiot
    Vidiot

Okay; so far we got...

- the Silver Rule: "Don't treat others the way you don't want to be treated"...

- the Golden Rule: "Treat others the way you want to be treated"...

- and the Diamond Rule: "Treat others the way they want to be treated"...

x

What about the Bronze Rule: "Don't Treat everybody like they just came in fourth Place"...

- or the Titanium Rule: "Don't treat others as though they can bend but never break"...

- or the Pearly Rule: "Don't treat others like swine... or teeth... or swine's teeth"...

- or the Adamantium Rule: "Treat others like Wolverine"..

• steve2
    steve2

and the Diamond Rule: "Treat others the way they want to be treated"...

This is what patriarchal wives have done for millenia. Realists call it the Doormat Rule.

I know we live in the age of the bumper-sticker mentality, but what is it with this need to come up with pithy sayings about how to treat others?

Surely it depends on the circumstances. Even my JW mother who still thought I was the best son in the world - even after I left the organization - occasionally said no to my requests to borrow her car.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit