Golden Rule: Pure Garbage?

by willmarite 99 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Viviane
    Viviane
    Interesting. So then, your comments were only editorial i.e. your opinion? Or is it a fact that the golden rule is a selfish, horrible idea? Do you have evidence of this? Please provide evidence of this, lol.

Not at all. Perhaps you're confused because your complaint has nothing to do with with the golden rule and what it means. Or perhaps you are just desperate for something to complain about. Only you know. Or don't, depending on how confused you are.

Which I did.

Well, you certainly think you did.

Actually you did, by asking me a question (see above)

Actually, I didn't. You responded prior to the question. That's called "order of events". Are you sure you aren't confused?

Are you telling me what to do?

Of course not. I am perfectly happy to let people say ridiculous things. It actually saves me quite a bit of work.

I get that you don't like me. You've said so. I also don't care in the least that you don't like me. I get that, for some reason, you like to post about me without saying it's about me but making it extremely obvious that's what you are doing.

I've no idea why, if you don't like me, you would feel the need to post in such a manner. It's very odd. Were I you, I would just say what I feel rather than obfuscate and wait for someone else to address what you are trying to say.

Maybe you're confused, maybe you want to tell me what you think but haven't quite worked up the courage, maybe you've a bit of an internet crush. Who can tell these things, but you, of course, and you aren't saying. It's certainly possible you don't even know.

• Twitch
    Twitch

LOL, ok

Not at all. Perhaps you're confused because your complaint has nothing to do with with the golden rule and what it means. Or perhaps you are just desperate for something to complain about. Only you know. Or don't, depending on how confused you are.

Confused? Complaint? You asked a question with respect to your opinion, I responded. If you can't handle answers you don't like, perhaps you shouldn't ask people questions.

Desperate to complain? Really grasping on this one. My post history says otherwise. Does your post history have any complaints, hmmm? Project much?

Keep trying, you're getting closer...lol

Well, you certainly think you did.

It's all there. Sorry if you have trouble understanding black and white text

Actually, I didn't. You responded prior to the question. That's called "order of events". Are you sure you aren't confused?

How could I answer prior to a question?

Of course not. I am perfectly happy to let people say ridiculous things. It actually saves me quite a bit of work.

Why do you work at being ridiculous? You seem such a natural at it, lol

You enjoy engaging people with ridiculous things. Like saying the golden rule is selfish and a horrible thing, lol.

I get that you don't like me. You've said so. I also don't care in the least that you don't like me. I get that, for some reason, you like to post about me without saying it's about me but making it extremely obvious that's what you are doing.

Uh, discussion board, remember? I was responding to the OP with a statement that was in opposition to yours. I think it's allowed to discuss things on a discussion board and reference other posters' comments, even indirectly.

Would you have felt better if I said "Viviane said this but I disagree"?

I've no idea why, if you don't like me, you would feel the need to post in such a manner. It's very odd. Were I you, I would just say what I feel rather than obfuscate and wait for someone else to address what you are trying to say.

There has been and are a few posters I don't like. It's not a big deal, at least not for me

Who said I was waiting for anything? Assumption on your part. I said what I felt as I always do and considered that what I was saying might offend you, as clearly it was in disagreement with. Odd that this would be misunderstood really, as it seems common for many, but not all people to avoid direct conflict in a social setting. I get that you aren't like most, maybe that's why you're confused on my posting style and conversely also why others sometimes take offence to yours. But either isn't something I can answer and really doesn't matter to me.

Maybe you're confused, maybe you want to tell me what you think but haven't quite worked up the courage, maybe you've a bit of an internet crush. Who can tell these things, but you, of course, and you aren't saying. It's certainly possible you don't even know.

Uh, no, I clearly said what I wanted to. No need for Jedi mind tricks; they don't work on me :)

Oh, I know alright. And internet crushes are for noobs, lol. Been there, done that.

Anywho, thanks for the virtual chess.

• EdenOne
    EdenOne
    Twitch: I look forward to seeing you [Viviane] asking people here how they would like to be treated and you acting accordingly.

Don't hold your breath.

Eden

• disposable hero of hypocrisy
    disposable hero of hypocrisy

Derailed.

Started out as a good thread this.

Tuning out.

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

In another thread, Vivian defended her blunt confrontational tactics in this forum by saying:

"Some of the people that have been the most brutal to my own ideas have been my best friends because I asked them to be. I mean, if my friends can't tell me my idea sucks because they want to be nice, how do I expect anyone else to respond when I put it out there?" - Viviane

Accordingly, it's an observable fact that Vivian applies the Golden Rule by doing to others what she values others (her friends) do unto her. She verbally brutalizes others and their differentiated opinions and ideas in this forum because, well, that's what she expects that her friends do to her as a litmus test if her ideas are valid or not. Viviane doesn't treat others in this forum as they wish to be treated (a.k.a. the Diamond Rule): with respect, politeness, compassion. Instead, she treats them as per her opinion that they deserve to be treated. And, clearly, she doesn't think much of them.

But, according to Viviane's own opinion, the Golden Rule is:

arrogant and presumptive

and

taking a dump on how they feel and acting according to how you feel

and

it's a horrible, selfish idea

and

It's the opposite of politeness and empathy.

And yet, the Golden Rule is what Viviane pursuits when she debates here. But she doesn't take into account that, at least in my personal case (and I bet I'm not alone in this):

a) I don't count her as my friend; and

b) I don't wish and didn't ask to be treated with disrespect and contempt.

So, it's a veritable paradox that she advocates:

Viviane: Far better to simply ask how people would like to be treated.

^^ Talk about famous last words ...

[And, btw, before someone asks, I too agree that the Diamond Rule surpasses the Golden Rule. But at least, in the real world, the Golden Rule is better than "doing to others what I don't wish others do to me".]

Eden

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus
    While its a good attempt at a guiding principle the flaw has already been noted: its still self centered. It promotes what the individual wants as good for everyone else. One would think gods son could do a bit better at encouraging people to see things through others eyes..... Or maybe we are all supposed to think and act in agreement
  • EdenOne
    EdenOne

The Diamond Rule also has its own set of shortcomings. For example, what if someone's wish is detrimental to his own well-being? Should we treat that person as he/she wants to be treated despite said treatment poses an unquestionable threat to her well-being? it may be a difficult call sometimes.

One rule doesn't fit all, I'd say.

Eden

• millie210
    millie210

I think its important with all "sayings" to understand what they are trying to universally convey.

Benjamin Franklin wrote a book which gave rise to the quote "early to bed and early to rise makes a man healthy wealthy and wise""

That would seem to be common sense, right? It sounds good,

Now take the Greek island of Icaria. One of the few places in the world known as a "Blue Zone" in part for their laid back approach to life. They dont live by a clock, the day starts late, afternoon rests are expected and they drink a lot!

So do these two ways of approach oppose one another? If you were to ask an Icarian, Im sure they could grasp the germ of the idea Franklin was presenting.

So isnt that the real point? Sayings endure for a reason. They stand the test of time because they are useful touchstones or reminders.

I am relatively new on the journey out of being a JW. The bad side is its new and scary. The good side is this time around, I get to choose what I want to be without anyone telling me what to be. What I want to be is happy.

I find it a strange concept that everything written in the Bible is appalling just by virtue of being found in the Bible. Its an ancient book, there are going to be some sentences in it that reveal what people had observed about life.

To go from believing the Bible was the word of God to thinking it contains nothing of use whatsoever is to careen wildly from one side of the belief road to the other. That cannot be the way to happiness or peace of mind.

Thats another thing the Icarians get right, they live happy.

The wisdom of the wise, and the experience of ages, may be preserved by quotations. -Isaac Disraeli

• never a jw
    never a jw

C'mon, the golden rule is a general rule to improve the relationships between humans and it works great, a lot better than anything that I know. If you nit-pick anything you are going to end up in complete nihilism. The golden rule is my moral compass and works quite well. I just don't waste my time thinking of off-the-wall and hypothetical scenarios to invalidate it. The rule is simple, keep it simple.

• Viviane
    Viviane
    Accordingly, it's an observable fact that Vivian applies the Golden Rule by doing to others what she values others (her friends) do unto her. She verbally brutalizes others and their differentiated opinions and ideas in this forum because, well, that's what she expects that her friends do to her as a litmus test if her ideas are valid or not

Well, that's interesting because I don't verbally brutalize anyone, I brutally test ideas to see if they hold water. You really have a problem with accurately representing anything, it seems. You also don't know what "fact" means, clearly, but that's a different story.

Anyway, rather than follow me around from thread to thread telling me how terrible I am to you both, you and Twitch may want to consider getting a room and giving each other sexy rubdowns and massages while talking about what a terrible person I am and how bad I make you feel. How very, VERY bad I make you feel.

I'll even spring for the room, because I'm awesome like that.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit