cappytan
    Semantics are always annoying.
  • Viviane
    Viviane
    Semantics are always annoying.

Why do you hate juice?

• EdenOne
    EdenOne
    Viviane: I could count on you to say something both useless but, and this is key, also letting everyone know just how singed your feelings are

Seriously, Viviane ... lighten up :)

Eden

• Icarus
    Icarus
    Do unto others as you would have them do unto you is a rule of conduct, not action. It doesn't pertain to offering people food or things you like. It is more a reverse idea, as Buddhism teaches - do not do to others what you yourself don't like (which was spoken and practiced well before Jesus' time). For instance: I don't want you to spit on me, so I won't spit on you. Not, I like to get slapped for laughs, so let me slap you.
  • Viviane
    Viviane
    Seriously, Viviane ... lighten up

You're fascinated with pretending to know things about me, it seems. Makes me wonder what you dream about that you don't post.

• Viviane
    Viviane
    Do unto others as you would have them do unto you is a rule of conduct, not action. It doesn't pertain to offering people food or things you like. It is more a reverse idea, as Buddhism teaches

Nope, A does not equal !A. They are different things.

do not do to others what you yourself don't like (which was spoken and practiced well before Jesus' time). For instance: I don't want you to spit on me, so I won't spit on you. Not, I like to get slapped for laughs, so let me slap you.

Not what the golden rule says,

• KateWild
    KateWild
    More utter nonsense on this thread. I am not surprised though xx
  • Viviane
    Viviane
    More utter nonsense on this thread. I am not surprised though xx

See example ^^^^

• never a jw
    never a jw
    What's missing here is that in order for the Golden Rule to be useful it must be applied in the context of people who share common values. For example, since I am not a masochist I can't apply it when the second person is a masochist. In the end the Golden Rule is not that useful because people sharing common values will not need the Golden Rule in order to determine their course of action; they already have a common understanding of "right" and "wrong", of desirable and undesirable. However, it's a pithy way to remind us of how we should treat those with whom we share our values. It's a reminder to act according to our values, not an external, transcendental and universal rule that provides "good" moral guidance.
  • LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

What's missing here is that in order for the Golden Rule to be useful it must be applied in the context of people who share common values - good point. In today's era of cultural relativism and enforced multiculturalism, people living in the West don't share common values. Politicians playing divide and conquer?

Clearly, the Golden Rule is not pure garbage despite its severe limitations.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit