Is it common for old men to marry young JW?

by adjusted knowledge 57 Replies latest jw friends

• Barrold Bonds
    Barrold Bonds
    absolutely. For a very long time Bethel had an unwritten 'no getting married rule.' As soon as that was dropped all the GB and other 'heavyweights' went and got themselves wives who were much much younger.
  • ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

I remember quite a while ago a sister in her mid 20's married a brother who was in his late 50's, but the sick part of the story is the brother is her best friends father. Their friendship didn't suffer at all and they had a baby around the same time as each other, to me that's kinda sick. This brother was no Denzel Washington so to speak, he looked every day his age and then some, he looked more like Al Roker before he lost the weight, including the cow licked bald head Al had back then.

• Lieu
    Lieu
    Sure. At one time young fit men were all off to Bethel while young ladies were left with slim to no suitable mates in their age ranges. It changed a bit when so many young ladies went off marrying "worldly" guys. I mean really, unless by serious love choice, what 20 something wants grandpa for a husband?
  • millie210
    millie210

Theres the age old thing called to marry "up" and if you are a young witness girl all your female relatives and the congregation is going to perceive you as doing that if you marry an elder or Bethel has been.

Its their equivalent of marrying a Dr or something I guess.

• joe134cd
    joe134cd
    Yup. I know of a case where it was the opposite way around. The brother was like 24 and his wife was mid 50s.
  • prologos
    prologos
    Consequences? there is a real stunner of a sister in the area, that married an old widowed but active circuit overseer in her home territory. He is now a cripple, she pushing the wheelchair.--Now out of the places where she was once the first lady, without the recognition she once had, out of the power circle, stuck without being able to exert her human drive for close (wt approved) male companionship. A frustrating situation that even medication does not assuage.
  • Vidiot
    Vidiot

Barrold Bonds - "For a very long time Bethel had an unwritten 'no getting married rule.' As soon as that was dropped all the GB and other 'heavyweights' went and got themselves wives who were much much younger."

Figures.

joe134cd - "I know of a case where it was the opposite way around. The brother was like 24 and his wife was mid 50s."

Ditto. Wonder if it's the same one. Central BC?

prologos - "A frustrating situation that even medication does not assuage.."

Well, she's abviously not using the right "medication"... ;D

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

Think about this for a minute, in the JW paradise when the male is

500 years old and the wife is 470 it's not a big deal. Hell, he could be

age 500 and the wife 400 it won't seem so odd.

Wow brother you have a lovely wife and young. Well she is not that young,

she is 875 I will be 1200 next year.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Is it common for old men to marry young JW?

My personal observations in the congregations I have been in, are that if you are male, pioneering, bethelite or elder then you pretty much had the pick of any single sister you liked.It wasn't exactly raining men in JW land......sparrowdown

.....................Image result for marrying for money

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

Announcement : It is sad to report the brother elder 80 years old

passed last night on his honeymoon. We are happy to say he went to

meet Jehovah with a big smile.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit