Is it common for old men to marry young JW?

by adjusted knowledge 57 Replies latest jw friends

• adjusted knowledge
    adjusted knowledge

I left in the 90's and marriage partners were similar in age at my former congregation. I ran into a former JW friend from my childhood. I haven't seen him in 15 years. He mentioned his niece was married a few years ago. His niece was 24 years old at the time and her JW husband was 50. I asked how that happened and he responded the JW recently left Bethel and was an Elder, and Elders from his new congregation stated they knew a young pretty single sister. My former friends niece father was an elder also. Is there that much of a shortage of young men in the congregations?

I don't really have issue with age differences, but just curious if that was common within JW land.

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown
    My personal observations in the congregations I have been in, are that if you are male, pioneering, bethelite or elder then you pretty much had the pick of any single sister you liked. It wasn't exactly raining men in JW land.
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot
    As I said on another thread those guys have the pick of the litter. I have noticed something curious though; young brothers marrying women 10 to 15 years older than them. The couples on both sides of the great divide probably reason to themselves that they're not going to grow much older because Paradise is soon to come.
  • Quarterback
    Quarterback
    Yes, it's pretty common. You don't have to die a sacrificial death in this faith to marry a young virgin, but you could only marry one.
  • sparrowdown
    sparrowdown
    With role models like King Solomon and King David what should we expect?
  • William Penwell
    William Penwell
    I remember the last congregation I attended and their was some sister that would have been about my age late 30's early 40's and she wasn't bad looking. She was married to this elder guy that had to be in his 70's at the time. He walked with a cane, looked more like her father than her husband. Now if this works for them fine but you can't tell me there are not times she wonders what she got herself into.
  • Quarterback
    Quarterback
    I think that marrying one wife is enough. But I think that it should be a punishment and not as a blessing. Something like the judge sentences you for a crime, and decides that you messed up so here is your punishment, "Bang", you are now married.
  • Village Idiot
  • prologos
    prologos
    You raised an interesting question. Young ladies seem to be an aphrodisiac. There are successful, lasting jw marriages with a 40+ year age difference that are now raising kids. proving that the rising is real. Elderly elders doing it though?-- is not one of the qualification to be sound in mind--? One very good reason to resign as an Elder to be young again, in your outlook, or what you look at, day in and [lights] out.
  • truthseeker100
    truthseeker100
    My experience with the Dubs is no. I have been out for so long. Who knows whats common among them now?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit