JW Father shunned by family for defying faith.

by nicolaou 3 Replies latest social current

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Mar. 11, 01:00 EDT

Father shunned by family for defying faith to save child.
    Carol Harrington
    CANADIAN PRESS

CALGARY — Shunned by the Jehovah's Witnesses he once embraced, he's a now lonely man, ignored by family and friends as if he were a wandering ghost.

He's been "lost" for almost a month, since defying his faith by agreeing to blood transfusions for his 16-year-old leukemia-stricken daughter.

The 51-year-old Calgary father, who cannot be named under laws protecting her identity, knew he would pay a high price. Even the girl whose life might be saved by his decision sometimes says she hates him.

"I was under tremendous pressure," he said in a recent interview. "Because I knew that if I went against what the church taught, that I would be excommunicated and no Jehovah's Witness would ever speak to me again, including my family."

His wife now comes home only to do laundry. His other two daughters, 14 and 22, want little to do with him.

They have banned him from his daughter's hospital room when Witness meetings are piped in over the speaker phone. Meetings occur several times a week and some last all day.

He goes to work at an architectural firm but is ignored by friends.

"It's as though I don't exist."

Any Jehovah's Witness who challenges such tenets as that against blood transfusions, which they believe is set out in several Bible passages, is shunned.

"When I made the decision with a clear conscience, I went into my daughter's hospital room. My whole family was there, and I told them about my decision, saying: `No matter what happens with this case, I still love you, each and every one of you.'

"And their reply, each of them, was: `We hate you and we'll never speak to you again'."

Doctors say the best available treatment to combat the potentially fatal disease is blood transfusions and chemotherapy. His daughter has received those treatments several times over at Alberta Children's Hospital.

According to the girl's lawyer, when she is taken to the operating room for a transfusion, she uses what little strength she has to resist.

"They semi-sedate her, hold her down on the bed and they give the blood transfusion," said David Gnam, whose Ontario law firm in Georgetown, works primarily for the Jehovah's Witnesses. "She's not trying to die. She would like treatment that would respect her wishes."

In mid-February, she was diagnosed with acute myeloid leukemia after going to hospital for what she thought was a throat infection.

A pediatrician told the family that there is a 40 per cent to 50 per cent survival rate with blood transfusions and a 65 per cent chance with a bone marrow transplant. They rejected the suggested treatment, saying they were Jehovah's Witnesses.

Then the father reopened his Bible to Acts 15:28, a passage Witnesses cite for refusing blood transfusions. Over and over, he read:

"For the Holy Spirit and we ourselves, ask a favour adding no further burden to you except these necessary things: to abstain from things sacrificed to idols and from blood and from the things strangled and from fornication. If you carefully keep yourselves from these things, you will prosper. Good health to you."

The words he had read hundreds of times since becoming a Witness 20 years ago in Ontario in Belleville and accepted: no heavenly paradise for those who accept another's blood.

"I was struggling with those scriptures and reading others that talk a great deal about the sanctity of life, how important life is."

Finally, he concluded it would be wrong, even cruel, to watch his daughter die without trying to save her.

Had she agreed to transfusion, she too would be disowned by her mother and sisters. "She's lived such an isolated, controlled life — all her friends are Jehovah's Witnesses."

He talks to his daughter each day by phone. Sometimes she gets angry, telling him: "I hate you."

Then there are kinder, gentler moments when she says the opposite.

http://www.do-not-call.org

• gumby
    gumby

His wife now comes home only to do laundry

How does she get away with this crap! Just because someone is df'ed they are not to treat ones this way.Maybe he shoulod tell the elders about her conduct.....yea right!...as if they would care.

• crownboy
    crownboy

10 years from now when the blood policy is totally different due to whatever "new light" Brooklyn can cook up, not only will the girl and her family be totally happy for her father's "evil" decision (I sure hope the girl survives this), but they'll realize how close they came to killing their child, due to the misinformed decision of some half senile GB members, and how inhumane and unreasonable otherwise kind hearted people can act when they allow themselves to be demagouged.

Reading this thread made me happy, angry & sad. The father is obviously a very wise man who deserves to be praised for his actions. His love for his daughter has caused him to "see the light" so to speak, and provided she survives this, she'll no doubt be extremely grateful for her father's sage & kind decision.

According to the girl's lawyer, when she is taken to the operating room for a transfusion, she uses what little strength she has to resist.
    Sad. Can the girl even fully understand what she is fighting for? Can she explain how getting a blood transfusion is "eating blood"? Does she even know that such a technicality exist? I feel very sorry (in addition to happy) for this girl, as no doubt her JW indoctrination has her thinking that Jehovah will zap her to bits at Armageddon if she doesn't put up some resistance to the inevitable (a la the "old light" on rape). It just goes to show you the all too powerful effects of indoctrination.

The girl lawyer (potential excutioner) said:

"They semi-sedate her, hold her down on the bed and they give the blood transfusion," said David Gnam, whose Ontario law firm in Georgetown, works primarily for the Jehovah's Witnesses. "She's not trying to die. She would like treatment that would respect her wishes."
    Is she informed enough to make such a decision, or is she threatened with eternal death for lack of cooperation? I'm always tickled when I hear of "informed decisions" by JW's, as free thinking and conscience decisions (like the girl's father's) aren't respected. Could she have really had an alternate opinion? What would have been the consequences? If all things were equal, would she really have the same thoughts on the blood issue? Would her family members (save for her father) have the same thoughts? What the lawyer should have said is : "She would like treatment that she has been indoctrinated and pressured to believe is her wishes." Is the lawyer a JW? Wouldn't be surprising.

"When I made the decision with a clear conscience, I went into my daughter's hospital room. My whole family was there, and I told them about my decision, saying: `No matter what happens with this case, I still love you, each and every one of you.'

"And their reply, each of them, was: `We hate you and we'll never speak to you again'."

Truly pitiful what the Society can do to people. I really hope this all works out in the end (though I will not hold my breath) with the man and his family. That's probably the indoctrination and not themselves speaking (I'm sure the elders have been great "support"). The daughter seems a bit confused (she actually speaks to her dad, who she should view as the Devil incarnate), so that's good.

Yet another reason why the Watchtower Society is no good.

Go therefore and baptize the people in the name of the father and of the son... what the hell, we just need to bring up the yearbook numbers!

• MoodyBlue
    MoodyBlue

This makes me sick. I used to live in Calgary before I moved to the US. I was an active witness at that time. I'm dying to know what congregation that poor father belonged to, you never know, maybe it was mine. My heart goes out to him!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit