Easter, What Is The Real Truth

by Candle 9 Replies latest jw friends

• Candle
    Candle

EASTER, WHAT'S THE REAL TRUTH: Previously, and as found in most encyclopedias, most scholars took the view of "the Venerable Bede" who in 8th Century England speculated that the name Easter may have come from the name for the Anglo-Saxon goddess Eastre. But closer research shows several other possibilities. One is that the name more likely came from the Latin for "White Week" that spring week when people wore white to be baptized as Christians. The Latin expression Hebdonada Alba (White Week) was misunderstood as the plural for the word dawn and mistranslated into Old High German as Eostarum. Another possibility is that Easter came from the Anglo-Saxon word "eastre" akin to the words easterly or eastern, that is something that came from the East which is logical since Christianity entered Germany and England in Western Europe from the east, that is the Middle East. A lesser possibility is that it derived from the Bible's speaking of Christ as someday returning to resurrect people from out of the east. Of course there might also be a combination of possible reasons for the name.

In any event, when Christianity reached Germany in the 1500s the Christians there symbolized the resurrection hope, that is new life, via rabbits and eggs. This was because from eggs clearly come new life, and also because rabbits were well-known for appearing first here and then there which is exactly how Christ did, appearing in first one place then another, after he was resurrected. Some modern persons have attacked the celebration of Easter by promoting in writing their theory that the continuing usage today of Easter rabbits and eggs is a vestige of ancient fertility or sex rituals that pre-dated Christianity, and so this day that is so highly esteemed by those of different beliefs is, they contend, tarred with an immorality that God could not possibly find acceptable. Such criticism from some persons is well-intended because it comes from a lack of full knowledge and such critics having been mistaught, and it is true that some ancient cultures used colored eggs to symbolize different ideas or as part of worship as when, for example, the Chinese, have used eggs dyed red to symbolize good luck.

Therefore we can conclude that those not celebrating Easter from lack of correct knowledge, or who out of honest doubts and sensitivity do so, deserve our respect too but yet we can also feel free to educate them to the real truth about Easter, the rabbits and eggs, even as those who honorably observe the day and its traditions also deserve full respect, which is exactly what Paul counsels at Colossians 2:16. This carries over to other things, for usually those with misinformation they call The Truth about Easter are also persons taught that Christmas trees and Santa are pagan instead of the real truth, which is that the most recent research shows the tree began as the tree of paradise used in Medieval church plays and Santa came from Saint Nicholas a famous Christian giftgiver who who wore red and also lived during Medieval times, not derived from a wizard or ancient god. Please note that Romans 14:1-5 grants Christians great freedom of views.

• celebrate
    celebrate

I am always amazed at these things! Does God really have nothing better to do then to look down and be upset because people color eggs and celebrate? With millions of starving people in the world, what difference does it make? If a day to God is as a thousand years, in the incredibly small amount of time that one 24 day means, do you really think God is paying attention?

I have to worship a God who doesn't care about such things. Colored eggs, decorated trees, turkeys, etc., are just social expressions. They make people smile and children's hearts happy. The rest is speculation and posturing.

celebrate

• Xander
    Xander

Christianity reached Germany in the 1500s the Christians there symbolized the resurrection hope, that is new life, via rabbits and eggs.

So, that fact that the local pagans were ALREADY using rabbits and eggs to celebrate fertility well before the 1500s doesn't strike you as a terrible coincedence?

About 200 B.C. mystery cults began to appear in Rome just as they had earlier in Greece....The festival began as a day of blood on Black Friday and culminated after three days in a day of rejoicing over the resurrection.
    This is not to say that the modern observation of Easter is entirely pagan, far from it:

Modern-day Easter is derived from two ancient traditions: one Judeo-Christian and the other Pagan. Both Christians and Pagans have celebrated death and resurrection themes on or after the Spring Equinox for millennia.
    persons taught that Christmas trees and Santa are pagan instead of the real truth

Santa I'll give you, buy only because the pagan stories vary considerably regarding his purpose (generally, pagan stories favor Santa as a punish-the-evil elf rather than bless-the-good).

However, I can't see how the Christmas tree's origins can be questioned. Pagans have been lighting trees for celebration of Yule for some time. This is, after all, the longest night of the year. Hence, the illumination of an evergreen tree (green symolizes life) is used to herald the return of light.

A fanatic is one who, upon losing sight of his goals, redoubles his efforts.
    --George Santayana
  • ChuckD
    ChuckD

I am so confused.

Isn't Easter the time when Jesus comes out from the tomb and checks to see if he can see his shadow?

• Aunty
    Aunty

No, it's when he comes out to buy his cadbury eggs (only time they're available)

• gumby
    gumby

Pagan origins......do origins matter?
    I liked the point COC made about how many things we do today that had pagan origins. Calendars,the names of the days of the week, money,wedding customs,etc. all had pagan backrounds.

I have often wondered why the society would 'pick and choose' which ones they deemed unfit for christians.

The bible says not to judge a man that holds a day above the rest when it is done to praise him. Easter and christmas both are days in which this is done.

Just because many people celebrate these days and do not honor God on these days....does not make these two days wrong.

• Dutchie
    Dutchie

I agree with Gumby. I think the word pagan as is taught by the WBTS (and Christians in general) has some devious, dark meaning and it at once brings to mind people who are all evil, doing utterly gross things, but weren't pagans just simple people who practiced what they believed true before the advent of christinity? Their ancient practices have woven their way into so much of our lives today that it seems silly to nitpik at the ones that are okay and the ones that are not. When we celebrate the holidays today we do so with open hearts and the origin of our celebration, whether pagan or not, does not enter into it. So then our consciences are clear. Is is sensible to think that we should stop and analyze each and every little thing we do to make sure that it is not of pagan origin or should we not just get on with the business of enjoying life. Does not the Bible te1l us that "all things are lawful"? Very informative essay.

• Xander
    Xander

I think the word pagan as is taught by the WBTS (and Christians in general) has some devious, dark meaning and it at once brings to mind people who are all evil, doing utterly gross things

Right. Exactly. 'Pagan' is defined as "One who is not a Christian, Muslim, or Jew, especially a worshiper of a polytheistic religion"
    --The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language

No dark undertones here, we DON'T worship the devil (we don't even BELIEVE in a 'devil'), no child sacrifices, no blood drinking, etc.

Just normal everyday people who just happen to think there is a lot more divine in the world than most mainstream religions accept. (Buddhism, Hinduism, and most Eastern religions are also generally considered 'pagan', for point of reference).

Lots and lots of bad press, though.

A fanatic is one who, upon losing sight of his goals, redoubles his efforts.
    --George Santayana
  • anewperson
    anewperson

How things are used instead of where they came from is what is important. For example whether I eat balanced meals or unhealthily eat too much for meals is more important than if the food stuffs were grown by atheists, Buddhists, Christians etc or a mixture of those. I will also try to see that the point about name days, month names, wedding customs, money etc gets into an updated version. The article did mention that eggs etc have also been used by non-Christians, so that point is already covered.

• amccullough
    amccullough
    Just normal everyday people who just happen to think there is a lot more divine in the world than most mainstream religions accept. (Buddhism, Hinduism, and most Eastern religions are also generally considered 'pagan', for point of reference).

Lots and lots of bad press, though.

And it's all because of that movie Dragnet!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit