Anyone for a beer?

by Kenneson 5 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

Beer seems to be as common a drink in the Old Testament as is wine (Isaiah 24:9), although it was not available in the desert (Deut. 29:6). It was poured as a libation to Yahweh (Numbers 28:7) and was drunk at sacrificial banquets at the sanctuary (Deut. 14:26) It should be noted that the New World Translation calls it "intoxicating liquor" and some translations have "strong drink." But some scholars and some Bibles (like the NIV) translate it "beer," since they feel that the Hebrew word sekar means that rather than distilled spirits.

Of course, not all references to beer are favorable. Its intoxicating qualities are also mentioned (Isaiah 29:9; 28:7) and along with wine it is a beverage of drunkards (Ps. 69:12; Is. 5:11,22; 56:12). It leads to quarrels (Pr. 20:1) and is not the drink of rulers (Pr. 31:4)

Since beer and wine are both mentioned in the Bible as acceptable beverages, why do some religions prohibit its consumption? It seems to me that it is only the abuse of the drink that is condemned. Moderation seems to be the key. Any further thoughts?

• joelbear
    joelbear

oops, misread it, thought it said

Anyone for a bear?

hugs

Joel

• Beans
    Beans

Any consumption of beer and alcohol should be part of all religions or else you`ll go nuts!

Beans

• bigboi
    bigboi
    Since beer and wine are both mentioned in the Bible as acceptable beverages, why do some religions prohibit its consumption? It seems to me that it is only the abuse of the drink that is condemned. Moderation seems to be the key. Any further thoughts?

I have no idea why some religions prohibit their members from imbibing the bew. Especially some Christian churches. I mean, come on, Jesus' first miracle was turning water into wine.

ONE....

bigboi

• clash_city_rockers
    clash_city_rockers

One major reason is because of the leagalism and moralism that came from 19th centry revivalism and the abstanance movement that lead to the Volsted act.

Bible Believing Reformed Christianity's official position DOES NOT PROHIBIT alcoholic beverages but gives liberty to enjoy such beverages.

Bible believing stalwarts of the past and present have written for the defence of the christian drinking boooze. Such as:

Charles Spurgon
    Charles Hodge
    Archabald Alexander
    B.B. Warfield
    J. Grechem Mechan
    Greg Bahnson
    Michael Horton
    and so on......

2 books I recoment
    1. Jim West---Drinking with Calvin and Luther
    2. Ken Gentry---God gave Wine

I hope I can help

• heathen
    heathen

I thought it was because the ancient egyptians considered beer to be a truth serum. They can't handle the truth

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit