Outcast

by thinkers wife 6 Replies latest jw experiences

• thinkers wife
    thinkers wife

I just wanted to share how a book I just read touched me. For the first time in my life, I read Richard Bach's Jonathan Livingston Seagull. There were several things in the book that touched a chord in my soul. For anyone who has ever been a JW, this is a must read in my opinion.
    The quote I wanted to share is as follows. "The voice came inside his own head, and though it was very gentle, it startled him so much that he faltered and stumbled in the air. 'Don't be harsh on them, Fletcher Seagull. In casting you out, the other gulls have only hurt themselves, and one day they will know this, and one day they will se what you see. Forgive them, and help them to understand.'"
    This so reminded me of how I feel about all the Witnesses. Although I was the one to da myself, they would have put me out eventually. And in order not to be a hypocrite, I wanted to do it myself. I have felt since then that the scripture they use about "they went out from us but were not of our sort" applies to me in the concave. I was not of their sort, therefore, I went out from them. It is so sad for them. A loss of a good and decent person.
    I hope this rambling makes sense to someone and strikes a chord in their heart as well.
    TW

• patio34
    patio34

Thanks for the recommendation, Thinker's Wife. That's one i never read and with such an important experience in our lives to make application to, i'm looking forward to it.

Pat

WTBS: Quit peeing on my leg and telling me it's raining.
  • plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

I read part of it many years ago I was still a teen. Since you brought this up now I want to pick it up again and read the entire book. Thanks for mentioning it.:)

"I look to the sea, reflections in the waves spark my memory
    Some happy,some sad"
    styx
  • thinkers wife
    thinkers wife

You won't be sorry, I am sure you will see many parallels. It is an easy read. It only took about twenty minutes.
    TW
    Enjoy!!!!

• Dutchie
    Dutchie

Hi Thinkers Wife: Do you know the actress Barbara Hershey. Well in the '70's she changed her name to Barbara Hershey Seagull as a result of reading this book. She's dropped the Seagull now, but your post made me remember that.

• thinkers wife
    thinkers wife

No!! I didn't know that Dutchie. Interesting. I found the book very touching.
    Another quote that touched a chord in my heart!

There was brief anguish among his studenst, for it is the Law of the Flock that an Outcast never returns, and the Law said stay; Johanthan said go; and by now he was a mile across the water. If they waited much longer, he would reach a hostice Flock alone. "Well, we don't have to obey the law if we're not part of the Flock, do we?" "Besides, if there's a fight, we'll be a lot more help there than here."
  • thinkers wife
    thinkers wife

One more quote to whet your appetite.

"I don't understand how you manage to love a mob of birds that has just tried to kill you." "Oh, Fletch, you don't love that! You don't love the hatred and evil, of course. You have to practice and see the real gull, the good in everyone of them, and to help them see it in themselves. That's what I mean by love. It's fun, when you get the knack of it."

TW

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit