Thank God For Disfellowshipping!

by Nicola.threeangelsmessage 33 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• JWINQUESTION
    JWINQUESTION
    Thanks Faye for your response. Having that amount of faith in God is commendable. But how do you feel when Muslims say the same thing that because of their faith in Allah, it is their duty and God's blessing to kill unbelievers? Isn't their faith just as valid as yours? Thanks again for your response.
  • sir82
    sir82

Still not sure if I am to be tortured forever, if I choose not to worship him.

Just a simple "yes" or "no" would suffice.

Thanks

• Nicola.threeangelsmessage
  • JWINQUESTION
    JWINQUESTION

Yes, I hope you understand why some of us are a bit baffled by hell. As something as complex as God, don't you think God would be merciful enough just to let all unbelievers die off in sleep?

Again, not trying to offend my Theist brothers. Just something to think about.

• FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway

As I said in another thread, there are extremists in every religion. Most Muslims do not believe in killing unbelievers. I believe extremism makes any faith, whether Christian or otherwise, injustifiable. Allah just means God, and he is the same God referred to in the bible. Muslims went after a different prophet just as jw's have. It is not up to me to say their faith isn't valid, it is up to God, and God is merciful. I need his mercy as much as anyone.

sir82, no.

• FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway

Sorry I tried to write more about hełł earlier but my computer froze. (My Hell post froze over!! :) ) anyway, I haven't researched hell much and they hardly ever talk about it in church except for the rare mention that it means a 'separation from God'. But Reexamining Jesus' parable of the rich man and Lazarus, it seems to be a stretch that it's all allegory, as the witnesses say. However the person in hell was an unmerciful rich guy who didn't give a rat's ass about the starving man outside his gates....NOT someone who had a hard time believing in God.

So I don't know, but I do believe that God is merciful and won't torture, or even kill, people for not believing in him....that was not the way jesus was.

• talesin
    talesin

Nicola, welcome to the forum! And congratulations on being DF'd ... love the way you put it, as a good thing.

Looking forward to reading about your story.

Just ignore any rude atheists. Some of us (atheists) are just happy you are free of the Watchtower, and don't feel any need to ridicule your faith.

xx

tal :sunglasses:

• JWINQUESTION
    JWINQUESTION

@talesin

+1 for nice atheists! It's to see in this thread where theists and atheists can get along despite our differences. I feel no need to ridicule that someone's belief is a made piece of crap. I want to let them come to their own conclusions finding their own inner peace without ridiculing their beliefs, as long as they don't ridicule atheists beliefs.

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

What's a reasonable honeymoon period for a new poster?

• steve2
    steve2

Nicola thanks for your clear expressoon of faith. Perhaps the hook for me is not your faith - but rather your expressed subtle response regarding those who have lost faith. Framing is important. You then proposed that the God of the Bible is different from the Jehovah of the Watchtower.

However, to those of us that have studied the Bible very closely, both as Witnesses and then after leaving, the God of the Bible is pretty much consistent with the Jehovah of the Watchtower - just a different shade of violent and vengeful, depending on your affiliation.

It can be something of a red flag to some posters (including me ), when others express even sympathetic pity that we no longer believe in the God of the Bible. Your faith is important to you - and I would not want you to challenge it. Yet, if you make assumptions about others faith or lack of it...the situation changes.

As someone else replied earlier said, it can make for interesting and informed exchanges when people are not compelled to believe what others believe.

Oh, TTATT means the truth about the "Truth" - it's an acronym summing up the process of learning that the "Truth" we had long believed was the truth is not the truth - because we've found out the actual truth about it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit