Help - need to find scripture

by skeeter1 6 Replies latest jw friends

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

One of the threads, someone posted a scripture. It went something about older people being able to rest. I NEED IT.

Skeeter

• Iamallcool
    Iamallcool

(bookmarking)

• blondie
    blondie

Do you have any more info to help...it doesn't ring a bell and my search hasn't turned up anything.

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

The scripture was about older people having given their due, and be afforded a chance to rest. I saw it on a thread, I know, within the past two weeks. It was about the Society demanded more & more of people.

• Darth Rutherford
    Darth Rutherford

Not sure... could it be this one?

(Leviticus

19:32) “‘Before gray hair you should rise up, and you must show consideration for the person of an old man, and you must be in fear of your God. I am Jehovah.

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

I think it was this one . . .

Well, almost nothing. From what I’ve seen, this is the only reference to retirement in the Bible:

The LORD said to Moses, “This applies to the Levites: Men twenty-five years old or more shall come to take part in the work at the Tent of Meeting, but at the age of fifty, they must retire from their regular service and work no longer. They may assist their brothers in performing their duties at the Tent of Meeting, but they themselves must not do the work. This, then, is how you are to assign the responsibilities of the Levites.” Numbers 8: 23-26 (NIV)

That passage applies specifically to the Levites, God’s chosen spiritual leaders of the Israelites, and what does it say they should do after retirement? (Well, it certainly doesn’t say anything about having a standing tee time each morning) They should “assist their brothers in performing their duties at the Tent of Meeting.” Basically, when they retire, they are no longer “working,” rather they are “helping” the non-retired guys do their job.

• likeabird

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit