How the human mind processes facts and faith differently

by EdenOne 59 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• HB
    HB

Interesting article but I am also sceptical of the idea that people are more predisposed to believe in the supernatural as they age.

I agree with Great Teacher that it's more likely that the results of the study were skewed that way due to the effects of the particular cultural 'spirit of the time' and style of education the current older generation experienced.

My experience is mirrored by many -

As a child (non JW) I truly believed in Father Christmas, fairies unquestioningly lived in the pear tree in our garden, Jesus was born in a stable and wanted me to be good, the tooth fairy left money under my pillow in exchange for a tooth, my dolls and teddies came alive whilst I was asleep, and it was real magic when Marvo the Magician pulled a rabbit out of a hat.

In my teens I believed in God in a woolly sort of way, without examining the evidence but as a result of indoctrination from Sunday school.

In my late teens I became "spiritual but not religious". Believed in the existence of ghosts and thought crop circles were probably signs of alien visitations.

In my early twenties I avidly read all the new age stuff, astrology, crystal healing, psychic ability, dousing, meditation, near death experiences, telepathy, Feng shui, bio-rhythms etc.

Mid twenties started reading about science. debunked all of the above and if asked, described myself as a Humanist.

Now in my fifties, am more certain than ever, never once found any evidence for anything supernatural.

However, during my childhood my kindly elderly grandmother, born 1888, who had finished her education at age 14, had many superstitions such as if she accidentally put her cardigan on inside out, it had to stay that way all day as otherwise she would have bad luck, and although not a church goer, she did not question that the bible must be true. No amount of reasoning could convince her that man could have landed on the moon.

The study would need to examine how many older respondents if any had changed their position from sceptic to believer during their later years.

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

Like I said, the point of debate of this thread isn't about the claim that supernatural thinking increases with age - with which I'm not personally inclined to agree with, at least not in literate populations of western industrialized nations; I merely offered the study on which the original NYT article based that claim on - but about the different thought processes that the human brain probably uses to process statements of fact and statements of faith.

Eden

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

Eden

Richard Dawkins and Daniel Dennett place much emphasis on the modularity of the mind thesis and on this thesis the mind stores facts in different domain specific modules in the brain and in this aspect the brain resembles a computer. On Dawkins and Boyer's understanding beliefs in supernatural beings are infantile. In contrast other scholars (and I think I would include Daniel Dennett here) today argue that supernatural beliefs which are never exactly the from person to person, like facts may be, are an amazingly creative way of resisting the closure and sameness that come with facts and that these sorts of beliefs are not domain specific but jump between domains in the mind. This creativity sounds to me rather like the aesthetic judgement "faculty" that other scholars talk about. Kant for example. But in putting religious belief on a par with aesthetic judgement I'm not trying to criticse either but marvel that humans possess this sort of imagination and creativity. This kind of research also suggests how little we know and how far we need to go in our research to find out how the brain and mind work before we can commit to a notion like memetics.

edit: I don't want to derail your thread but I have read that commitment to mainstream religion in the West does increase with age whereas commitment to new religious movements decreases with age.

• Ruby456
    Ruby456
    nic, if you want to see sophistry and obfuscation (s/p) please read viv - I know she isn't going to like this - but I do like to see her in action up to a point especially when she does her pot calling the kettle black thingy. In fact this is how I will reply to her when she appears.
  • Oubliette
    Oubliette

EdenOne: the point of debate of this thread isn't about the claim that supernatural thinking increases with age ... but about the different thought processes that the human brain probably uses to process statements of fact and statements of faith. - Emphasis added

Maybe that's the problem.

You Cut & Pasted 10 paragraphs of the article but merely said you found it "interesting" and that you'd like to see an experiment that scans the brain while the person is making a factual statement versus a faith-based statement.

We're not mind readers you know!

You should read this thread: A Request to All Posters Regarding Cut & Paste Posting of "Interesting Articles"

Although you did include some commentary, you didn't include enough for us to know the point you were trying to make. We had to wait two days as many pages and 30+ posts before you explicitly stated "the point of the ... thread."

The points you highlighted certainly didn't make your particular point clear.

• Ruby456
    Ruby456
    oubliette the point of this thread, imo, is highlighted in the thread title. This is what caught my eye immediately anyway and then I simply kept it as a focus while reading everything else as I knew that the thread itself would go all over the place and make it hard to understand.
  • cofty
    cofty

I still don't get it.

Why is it remarkable that our brains process input from our 5 senses differently from delusions that originated in our heads?

• Ruby456
    Ruby456
    coft, notwithstanding the sophistry and obfuscation in your question, what remarkable solution re Jerusalem does the article in the OP suggest?
  • Oubliette
    Oubliette

Cofty: Why is it remarkable that our brains process input from our 5 senses differently from delusions that originated in our heads?

Interesting question!

• cofty
    cofty
    Ruby - What are you talking about?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit