How the human mind processes facts and faith differently

by EdenOne 59 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Viviane
    Viviane
    Why is it remarkable that our brains process input from our 5 senses differently from delusions that originated in our heads?

Just as an interesting side point, I was listening to Science Friday on NPR (National Public Radio in the US) and they had on a biologist who pointed out what we've traditionally thought of as our five senses turns out to be way more.

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20141118-how-many-senses-do-you-have

• Viviane
    Viviane
    nic, if you want to see sophistry and obfuscation (s/p) please read viv - I know she isn't going to like this - but I do like to see her in action up to a point especially when she does her pot calling the kettle black thingy. In fact this is how I will reply to her when she appears.

Wow. You went out of your way to 1) accuse of me two things I don't do which means either 1a) you're being intentionally dishonest or 1b) you don't actually know what either of those words means 2) pretend you know I how feel about what you are going to say, in other words, falsely pretend to know things you cannot, to literally be dishonest 3) on a thread I hadn't even commented on.

Quite contrary to your claim, I am am absolutely clear as I can be. I simply cannot make you understand it. And I found your post amusing in it's hamfisted simplicity.

coft, notwithstanding the sophistry and obfuscation in your question, what remarkable solution re Jerusalem does the article in the OP suggest?

Oh, so, it was 1b, she doesn't actually know what the words mean. That's rather sad.

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

I feel sad that these threads inevitably end up derailed and people end up fighting about tangent triffles, ending up being cats fighting inside a bag. Some take upon themselves the task of being this forum's thought police and they sure take delight in pounding on others for transgressing their flavor of atheism. This is supposed to be a place for support of ex and current JW's who don't believe this organization has anything to do with God. People have been battered badly enough inside the Org, they don't expect to come here to be abused again.

Personally, I'm worn out from this agressiveness and decided to give up starting threads and will take a back seat from posting in threads dealing with theism / atheism / agnosticism or science. Let the pack of wolves roam free and pat their own backs. There's life beyond these polemics. Despite each one's orientation in what concerns belief, clearly this forum has taken a turn towards an agressive strain of atheism, and I don't see myself taking part on it.

Eden

• Viviane
    Viviane
    I feel sad that these threads inevitably end up derailed and people end up fighting about tangent triffles, ending up being cats fighting inside a bag

As above, so below...

Some take upon themselves the task of being this forum's thought police and they sure take delight in pounding on others for transgressing their flavor of atheism.

I rarely see someone so quickly prove that they themselves are the thing they are complaining about. Usually there are a few filler sentences in there.

clearly this forum has taken a turn towards an agressive strain of atheism, and I don't see myself taking part on it.

It's taken a turn towards "you don't get to speak for me and pretend what you are saying is what I or others think" and towards "if you can't clearly say what you mean, you cannot expect us to pretend to know".

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

^^ you just proved all the points I've made.

Bye.

Eden

• Viviane
    Viviane
    ^^ you just proved all the points I've made.
    Bye.
    Eden

I can't help it if you complain about "thought police" and then try to tell the forum what other people think and enjoy, things you cannot possibly know and have to right nor reason to assert except to whine while trying to be the thought police.

You've recently twice created threads where you try to tell people what they think, redefine words to mean things they don't and changed what you were trying to say whenever someone tried to figure out exactly what you were trying to say or what your point was.

I've no idea how you think any kind of debate or discussion is possible with that behavior.

• Ruby456
    Ruby456
    I was asking myself why I come here when I don't like playground type abuse and bullying. so i have decided not to come here anymore. Say no to abuse!
  • Viviane
    Viviane
    I was asking myself why I come here when I don't like playground type abuse and bullying. so i have decided not to come here anymore. Say no to abuse!

No one has abused you. Frankly, it's shameful for you to even pretend that when actual people are actually abused every day.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

This is supposed to be a place for support of ex and current JW's who don't believe this organization has anything to do with God.

Eden, I get your point ... kinda/sorta.

But here's the problem: you are expecting all threads to be treated equally.

If I may, I will use Viviane and Cofty as examples. They can be brutal on threads like this. But that's the point, its on THREADS LIKE THIS!!!

I've read both of them offer some of the kindest, most compassionate words of comfort and encouragement on threads where someone (usually, but not always, a newbie) is expressing their pain and anger at realizing they've been duped by a cult and often suffer being cut off by family members.

Those threads are different.

Think about it.

• cofty
    cofty
    Thank you for "getting it" Oubliette.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit