List of Branch Offices and Country Offices of Jehovah's Witnesses

by cedars 57 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cedars
    cedars

Thanks slimboyfat - yes, a video would be good at some stage. Hopefully if the map shows the locations of former branches, it shouldn't be too difficult to see how widely-spread the organization was at its peak.

Is that only selected branches?

No, these are all the remaining 98 branches. I did consider including "country offices" on the map, but I've decided to disregard these because it is the branch offices figure as published in the worldwide report that is of interest in this exercise, and I don't want to muddy the waters.

I have also been informed that the Cyprus branch has been closed and "merged" with the Greek branch, so that takes us down to 97. If anyone can provide further information on similar branch closures, I would appreciate it! I will be updating the map today.

Cedars

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Another aspect of decline that might be interesting to chart is the worldwide bethel population. Is there any way to get that information? When did the number of bethelites worldwide peak? What was the peak number? What is the number now?

• cedars
    cedars

slimboyfat

Another aspect of decline that might be interesting to chart is the worldwide bethel population. Is there any way to get that information?

There is actually a figure published for that. I will try to make up a chart later today.

On another note - does anyone out there know if there is still an official branch office in Italy? I noticed on another thread from a year ago that it was mentioned Italy would lose its branch to Germany. Can anyone confirm whether this has actually happened?

Cedars

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

It always amused me when I was in that the Italian Branch address was in the Via Buffalotta, Buffo is the Italian for clown, I always thought that was appropriate, them being in a street that to my English ears meant a lot of clowns.

I am not sure if it still operates, so cannot be of use to your efforts Cedars, but well done, to have knowledge of the attrition is good, but I bet the WTdisclose less and less in the future, a lot of the R&F base their faith in the Organization on the increase, downsizing info will rattle their cage.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Most JWs do still consider numerical growth very important. That's despite the Watchtower attempting to downplay it in recent years by removing the report from the January Watchtower and ending the full monthy branch reports in the Kingdom Ministry. David Splane made a comment in the recent history DVD that is probably indicative when he said that only eight people survived the flood of Noah's day and therefore it is clear that God doesn't care about numbers. That attitude is a far cry from the days of "Hail the theocracy ever increasing, wondrous expansion is now taking place".

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

If Jehovah doesn't care about numbers, why report them ? and why does the Army of Large Women, sorry women who are a "large Army", keep going DtoD to get the numbers up ?

I would like an ExSplaneation

• cedars
    cedars

I've emailed my Italian contact about the Italy branch. Hopefully he can shed some light.

Here is my current list of branch closures from the last 5 years...

• Ireland
    • New Zealand
    • Sweden
    • Norway
    • Cyprus
    • Guyana
    • Honduras
    • Panama
    • Costa Rica
    • Nicaragua
    • Guatemala
    • El Salvador

The closed branches are all now marked in red on the map: https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=217344827189890401664.0004c78df8500ba7bd17e&msa=0

Cedars

• cedars
    cedars

Here are the figures for ordained ministers who staff the branch facilities - otherwise known as "The Worldwide Order of Special Full-Time Servants of Jehovah's Witnesses"....

• 2011 - 20,595
    • 2010 - 20,062
    • 2009 - 19,829
    • 2008 - 19,820
    • 2007 - 19,581
    • 2006 - 19,328
    • 2005 - 20,119
    • 2004 - 20,092
    • 2003 - 19,848
    • 2002 - 19,823

Apart from the curious dip from 2006 to 2009, it's interesting that the numbers are slowly increasing despite the branch closures. It will be interesting to see what next year's figures have in store.

Cedars

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Oh is that figure the number of bethelites? I thought it included special pioneers, DOs and COs too is that not right?

I think the Austrian branch only closed within the last couple of years. (It was such a lovely building too. I wonder what it is now) The Alaskan branch closed too a bit before that.

• cedars
    cedars

slimboyfat - well it says "branch facilities", but I know what you mean. I would be surprised if the "Worldwide Order" didn't include special pioneers, COs, etc - but I suppose you can only take things at face value. If it specifically mentions branch facilities, then that must be what it means.

In other news, my Italian friend has very kindly launched a thread on an Italian forum, so hopefully we'll soon get to the bottom of whether Italy still enjoys official branch status. I have a hunch that it does, but we shall see.

Cedars

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit