Finding Armageddon-esque undertones at the Olympic Closing Ceremony

by Flat_Accent 4 Replies latest jw friends

• Flat_Accent
    Flat_Accent

Yes hello it's me again.

My Dad in particular hasn't shut up about this.

They played John Lennon's 'Imagine' at the Closing ceremony - fantastic song, though the actual message would seem to clash with that of the Olympics.

Anyway, one of the lines is of course "Imagine no religion."

Well I've never heard such a kerfuffle about a song lyric in this house since Lady Gaga was bluffing with her muffin.

I like how the only thing they can pick up on for the Sunday Circle-jerk is a song that was written 41 years ago, the composer of which is now dead, albeit untimely.

Any other witnesses been raving about this?

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

I think many JWS who are completely brainwashed wouldn't pick up on the original intent of those lyrics.

That being over the span of human history, religion has caused divisive prejudice and hatred directly opposing one another and

has so for centuries.

Nice to be un-brainwashed isn't it ?

• Flat_Accent
    Flat_Accent

It is. And in the process of writing this I also learnt how to spell kerfuffle.

Definitely a worthwhile post.

• elderelite
    elderelite

Rotfl.... They the writting on every wall be it there or not

• mamamo
    mamamo

Back in 1985 I was actually attending a community college while still in. I had a speech class and another student who was highly religious but not JW, did his speech about songs that should be censored. The professor was so upset that he had included Imagine and particularly the line about no religon. It didn't help that his speech was supposed to be 5-7 minutes long and it was 23.

Too bad it took me another 5 years to leave. And it is a great shame that we lost John Lennon.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit