Missing an old JW friend! :|

by TimothyT 5 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• TimothyT
    TimothyT

Hi everyone.

About 5 months ago I posted about how a sister and I were talking since I was disfellowshipped. We are still good friends and we have such a laugh together. However for the first time since I told her that I don’t want to speak about anything to do with the organisation and particularly with regards to me returning to it, today the conversation came up between her and my dad when she came round for a cup of tea. I was sitting there and my dad starting talking about how much he disliked being a JW elder and how happy he is now that he is inactive. It was most awkward. Afterwards, the sister told me how upsetting she found it listening to my dad say those things about the org. I told her to literally cast it from her mind and dont dwell on it. I am not interested in arguing about whether it’s the truth or not with her and if she wants to believe it is then that’s fine by me.

However, I popped round later that afternoon to drop something off and she was sitting in the garden studying her Watchtower and she looked sad. Gosh. I wish I could help her in some way. I know she believes fully it’s the truth, and despite the fact that I think the JWs are totally wrong, I do not like seeing her like that. When I was disfellowshipped I know how much pain she felt and went through. Thing is though, without the organisation she has no one so it is the best thing for her at the moment. Anyway, I’m sure she will be fine.

The reasons why I’m telling you all this though is because of something she said which was bittersweet. She told me that her son who was a good friend of mine in the cong for 6 years is getting married in January. Although I’m very happy for him I’m saddened too because I know I will not be invited to my good friend's wedding. We haven’t had a conversation now for almost 12 months since I was disfellowshipped. I told my boyfriend Jack about how I feel and he understands and empathises but I must say it doesn’t leave a very nice feeling behind. None the less I’m going to write him and his wife a card. If they rip it up then that’s fine, but I want him to know that I still care and I’m glad he is doing well and that I'd like to meet up sometime. On that note too, It made me recall the times we spent together, in his house, sleeping over, going out to pubs, going for meals, studying together, and so on. That did make me a little sad as I really miss those times. They were very enjoyable and I had a great friend in him. It's totally crap how the organisation destroys friendships. How immoral! I’m glad his mum is still my friend though although our relationship is clearly a lot more limited than it used to be.

Anyway, it has been 12 months now, I have no desire to return as this little desire I have had to see my friend again is totally overpowered by how happy I feel with my boyfriend and how well we are doing together.

I simply wanted to share that with you.

Thanks for reading.

Tim :)

• PaintedToeNail
    PaintedToeNail

Tim-It is nice to see your post. It is extremely sad that this woman is trapped in a fantasy world of the JW making. It would be a nice gesture to send your friend a card, in fact is would be a really sweet thing to do. He probably misses you too, and he shares the same memories you do.

Take care,

PTN

• PaintedToeNail
    PaintedToeNail

Tim-It is nice to see your post. It is extremely sad that this woman is trapped in a fantasy world of the JW making. It would be a nice gesture to send your friend a card, in fact is would be a really sweet thing to do. He probably misses you too, and he shares the same memories you do.

Take care,

PTN

• fakesmile
    fakesmile

do you really want a friend who will drop you for a figment of his imagination? respect for your act of kindness.

• Coffee House Girl
    Coffee House Girl

Yes, I reason with myself that the friend that shuns you only had a "conditional" relationship with you and thus was not a true friend. But sometimes, I too reflect on my JW friend and still miss him- I accept my sad feelings as human and try to think of the funny stories and good times we had. I cannot change how he behaves (he does not answer any texts from me anymore), but I can be in control how I act. I still smile and say HI to other dubs even if they turn their heads the other way, I can feel good that I am happy & in a good place- try to pass on my positive energy.

CHG

• sizemik
    sizemik

Hi Tim . . .

It's true that JW relationships are conditional. However, it's good to remember who it is that is imposing the "conditions."

Some will willingly apply the conditions without a second thought, rejoicing in their loyalty to "mother" . . . but not all. Others, while conforming to doctrinal requirements, will still lament the loss of a good friendship, just as you do. I think you are right to give your old friend the benefit of the doubt, and send him a good wish. Even though you may never know . . . a good effect is the only one possible.

Nice to hear things are well with you all.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit