My 14yr. old daughter started "early college" this week

by Indian Larry 6 Replies latest jw friends

• Indian Larry
    Indian Larry

I finally found one good thing about growing up a witness and not getting to go to college. Because neither my wife nor myself ever went past high school that makes our daughter eligible for a program sponsored by the Bill and Melinda Gates foundation. She is 14. In 4 years from now when she should be graduating High School she will have two years of college under her belt, at no cost to me.

It is a very good deal, the credits are transferable and since this is still pretty much a pilot program the class sizes are small. So far the top students from this school have recieved scholarships to MIT, Stanford, and Berkley, not to mention that the valedictorian for the host college has come through the early college program for the past 5 years.

If you are a XJW who was robbed of college for yourself and you have a child under age 14 look hard at this program. Since we all "knew" armageddon would be here, we knew we would not need to worry about retirement. Since I am getting a late start on my 401, I told my daughter she has to earn enough to take care of me in my old age

Anyway, it is a great deal. If you are interested there is more info here:

http://www.gatesfoundation.org/college-ready-education/pages/early-college-high-schools.aspx

My daughter started going to "early college" this week. It is a program offered through a very well known college in our area (I don't want to say exactly where because I am still fading).

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Very nice! My daughter qualified for a program like that the last two years of highschool---but it wasn't the same one your daughter is in. It's offered to any good student here. She didn't want to do it, because she was very involved in school activities, but oh how I wish she had. The money she could have saved! Still, she was having a great time, so I can't feel too bad about it. But she is getting ready to graduate from college soon, and just got a most coveted position as a student teacher---which will also serve as her internship. She's pretty ecstatic right now---as am I.

Congratulations.

• Steve_C
    Steve_C

Congratulations Larry! I'm so glad I got out of JW-land before my kids were high school age. My two youngest also went through the same Gates Foundation early college program in northern California.

My son just finished his first year of university (UC Santa Cruz--go Slugs!). Because of already having received college credits while in high school (FREE through the program) he'll be getting his BS degree in just another 1.5 years. He'll be saving time and student loan money.

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

I love the idea of high school teaching college classes. I had college prep classes in high school, and they (and my schedule) was HARDER then my 1st and 2nd year of college.

If I can do an "Outlaw"

"When I think back to all the crap I learned in High School, it's a wonder I can think at all."

• 3rdgen
    3rdgen

Congrats IndianLarry! and to your daughter. She must be very bright and hard working to have qualified.

• Indian Larry
    Indian Larry

3rdgen - She has always been at the top of her class and has been in the AIG group since 3rd grade. She makes me a proud daddy.

Skeeter1 - I am glad the prep helps with the last two years. I think this is a slightly different program though. She is not getting college prep classes at a high school, she is actually attending a college. It is part of the University of North Carolina system. The high school classes are taught by the same professors that teach the other classes. For the first year and a half she will be taking high school courses then the rest of the time it will be college courses.

• blindnomore
    blindnomore

Oh, that's wonderful! You are a proud daddy.

My eldest took "early college" course when she was 15. She earned an Associate Degree while still in High School. She graduated with BS degree at age 20. All of this at no cost except for the text book. She is graduating with Master Degree in Psychology at 22. She has all kinds of prospect upon her graduation.

I wish more JWN members and lurkers would take advantage of the program.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit