Question about blood

by XPeterX 7 Replies latest jw experiences

• XPeterX
    XPeterX

Some JW's accept certain plasma fractions.If the plasma is extracted from human blood then who's blood is it that they use?Jw's won't donate blood.Do they let others donate blood instead?WTF

• sir82
    sir82

Yes of course - the blood has to come from somewhere.

The WTS is praying for the day when 100% artifical products will be developed that accomplish the same functions as blood and/or its "major components". They are quite vulnerable to lawsuits in this area, IMHO, and I am continually shocked that it's not a bigger issue than it is in the eyes of "worldly non-believing" relatives.

• joyfulfader
    joyfulfader

It completely bugs me that witnesses use a product that they refuse to supply. think about taxes...the government uses the money for good things that help society (jws are some of the first to take advantage of these to enable them to pioneer) and then also uses the money for corrupt and violent things. witnesses MUST pay their taxes and get in trouble if they dont (usually). So why cant witnesses donate blood realizing that another "brother" or "sister" might need one of the fractions and just let it be that the blood could be used as a whole?? Seems like the usual BS double standard to me

• joyfulfader
    joyfulfader

Btw...i am donating at the next opportunity :)

• Scully
    Scully

Blood fractions refer to minute quantities of blood components that are collected from large donor pools.

For example, Anti-D (Win-Rho, Rho-Gam) is administered to Rh-negative women during and after pregnancy to prevent hemolytic disease of the newborn in subsequent pregnancies. The amount administered is about 2.5 mL (Ā½ teaspoon), but it takes thousands of donors who are isoimmune (Rh-negative and exposed to Rh-positive blood and have developed the Rh antibodies) to synthesize the blood product. It is okay for a JW woman to take Anti-D, or rather it is up to her (her husband's?) Conscienceā„¢.

Having a baby with hemolytic disease of the newborn is awful. Even though we can treat the baby with massive phototherapy from the instant it is delivered, it can take a long time for the baby to get better, and in the meantime, the baby is separated from its mother. Sometimes though the phototherapy treatment isn't enough and exchange transfusions are needed so the baby won't die of oxygen deprivation as his red blood cells die off faster than they can be made. The other potential outcome without treatment is severe brain damage from bilirubin (a by-product of red blood cell breakdown). Any parent who would knowingly risk their baby's life like this by not taking a relatively simple precaution deserves to have child protective services all over their stupid asses.

And yes, you are correct, a JW woman who has become isoimmunized could potentially help other women protect their children from this horrible fate by donating their precious antibodies, but the WTS forbids it.

• blondie
    blondie

Raw Materials

Depending on the type of artificial blood that is made, various raw materials are used. Hemoglobin-based products can use either isolated hemoglobin or synthetically produced hemoglobin.

To produce hemoglobin synthetically, manufacturers use compounds known as amino acids. These are chemicals that plants and animals use to create the proteins that are essential for life. There are 20 naturally occurring amino acids that may be used to produce hemoglobin. All of the amino acid molecules share certain chemical characteristics. They are made up of an amino group, a carboxyl group, and a side chain. The nature of the side chain differentiates the various amino acids. Hemoglobin synthesis also requires a specific type of bacteria and all of the materials needed to incubate it. This includes warm water, molasses, glucose, acetic acid, alcohols, urea, and liquid ammonia.

For other types of hemoglobin-based artificial blood products, the hemoglobin is isolated from human blood. It is typically obtained from donated blood that has expired before it is used. Other sources of hemoglobin come from spent animal blood. This hemoglobin is slightly different from human hemoglobin and must be modified before being used.

Read more: http://www.answers.com/topic/artificial-blood-2#ixzz23OKKMEVD

• steve2
    steve2
    It completely bugs me that witnesses use a product that they refuse to supply.

You better watch it joyfulfader - you'll be getting a well-deserved reputation for making highly memorable and quotable statements. You've nailed my sentiments perfectly: They refuse to donate but can pick and chose to make use of what others have donated.

• smiddy
    smiddy

It makes my heart glad to know their probably benefiting from blood donated by catholics and apostates.

smiddy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit